Whistle register/First Video :)

:D

Hi All, I am very new to this place.. Just joined!

Im looking forward to talking to other artists and have attached my first 'Whistling register' Video on Youtube..

Many more to come.. This definitely isnt my best as i didnt warm up or anything beforehand but its better than doing nothing at all i suppose :/ .

Looking forward to reading your comments, and cant wait to post much better quality recordings as my new mic arrives on monday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g3GmG-XTow

Thanks,

Jacqueline

Also my lowest note is a E2 and Highest Belt would be something around g#7 Videos demonstrating this will come next week

Oh my, oh my... I usually am not the kind of person to be rude but... YOUR PITCH...!!! You are NEVER on pitch... I had to stop one minute through because it just hurt my ears...

Work on simple scales, getting the pitch down and for the LOVE of God, don't try to wail before you have the agility necessary as well as a near perfect pitch...

Sorry for being so cruel but... One should never start in the deep end... Learn to walk before you run...

Oh my, oh my... I usually am not the kind of person to be rude but... YOUR PITCH...!!! You are NEVER on pitch... I had to stop one minute through because it just hurt my ears...

Work on simple scales, getting the pitch down and for the LOVE of God, don't try to wail before you have the agility necessary as well as a near perfect pitch...

Sorry for being so cruel but... One should never start in the deep end... Learn to walk before you run...

Your the first person to tell me this even though i know it is one of my weak points with my singing, this was a very casual (almost too casual) video i recorded at home and i was not putting in effort with my singing, it was purely a demonstration of me whistling if you are aware of what that is.

I had my first singing lesson yesterday in 10 years which is a great thing for me.

I have been singing now for over 15 years, maybe you would liek to hear something where i am in pitch? haha

I posted this video for feedback which i am MORE than happy to receive and accept but there is a kind way and a shit way..

You don't need to apologise for being 'cruel' thats obviously the type of person you are. Maybe i joined the wrong forum..

First things first; when opening yourself up for critique you need to let go of your ego. Some things might hurt (boy, have I considered quitting singing many times because people tell me I suck...) but in the end you've got to put aside your hurt ego and read the core. Some people may say "hey cutie pie, you're perfect!!! That is so amazing!" but that doesn't help anyone improve does it? Even though I said what I did in a rude way, the points still remain very valid...

The reason I reacted strongly is because I'm a singer who value emotion and pitch before EVERYTHING when singing. What use is a 6 octave range when a person can't sing even the simplest of songs? What good are whistle notes if you can't sing in the rest of the range?

My point being, work from the right side of things; get pitch straight and LISTEN to what you sing yourself. Listen to sounds all around you in every day life. Take in everything through your ears - filter and analyze... It will develop your hearing and pitch so fast...

It doesn't matter if you have sung for 20 years or two months.. There are no free cookies along with the time spent...

So, yeah, other people here will be much friendlier in their comments I'm sure.. I just don't like beating around the bush much...

First things first; when opening yourself up for critique you need to let go of your ego. Some things might hurt (boy, have I considered quitting singing many times because people tell me I suck...) but in the end you've got to put aside your hurt ego and read the core. Some people may say "hey cutie pie, you're perfect!!! That is so amazing!" but that doesn't help anyone improve does it? Even though I said what I did in a rude way, the points still remain very valid...

The reason I reacted strongly is because I'm a singer who value emotion and pitch before EVERYTHING when singing. What use is a 6 octave range when a person can't sing even the simplest of songs? What good are whistle notes if you can't sing in the rest of the range?

My point being, work from the right side of things; get pitch straight and LISTEN to what you sing yourself. Listen to sounds all around you in every day life. Take in everything through your ears - filter and analyze... It will develop your hearing and pitch so fast...

It doesn't matter if you have sung for 20 years or two months.. There are no free cookies along with the time spent...

So, yeah, other people here will be much friendlier in their comments I'm sure.. I just don't like beating around the bush much...

Who are you to judge which notes i can and cant hit when you havent even heard me sing them? You are judging my whole register based on a crappy video i recorded slouching on a couch when i really cbfd making a video. Yes i am open to criticism and i am MORE than happy to hear what i need to improve on but there is a nice and normal way to put it without trying to sound like an arrogant wanker.

Im a female and you are male, has a bit more respect, i have just joined this site and dont really want to be on here if everyone is going to be rude like you. There are days when i am completely off pitch for sure, everyone has bad days but maybe you should listen to more of my material before telling me straight up "what good are whistle notes if you cant sing the rest of the range" You havent heard my range so you cannot judge like that.

Respect is not something men shows towards women. It's something everyone shows towards everyone who deserves it. Not sure why you brought it up in that context...

Here comes some real world advice girl; life is hard. Critique is hard. If you can't handle brutal honesty, well, you're not going to make it far. Suck it up and get stronger..

jacqueline - Welcome to the forum!

I thought your performance was great! I don't hear a problem with pitch. I think your whistle register sounds just fine.

This is a great forum if you want to learn to improve your voice. Or, if you just want to post your performances on this thread that's cool. To get more feedback on your posts, you'll want to listen to other's performances and comment on theirs.

A lot of us know what whistle register is. I'm not currently working on this part of my voice only because, as a male, I have no use for it and no desire.. So I just stop at C6. But, I think it is cool for females, and it sounds cool for males, too - I just don't care to develop it for my more pop rock style.

You're second video is really great! Great production. Can I ask how you you produced the audio? Are you using pre-made backing tracks? Are you recording in a studio? I produce my own stuff and am really into recording and mixing and am curious about how other people do it.

You're second video is really great! Great production. Can I ask how you you produced the audio? Are you using pre-made backing tracks? Are you recording in a studio? I produce my own stuff and am really into recording and mixing and am curious about how other people do it.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Im open to hear areas where i may need improvement

That track was recorded at Babie mind studios in Thailand by a friend of mine, she is a great producer. It is a premade backing track unfortunately it was all i could afford at the time. They are my lyrics also, would love to re-do the track as i ran out of idea in the chorus and it became really repetitive haha

Occasionally i get someone to make my backing tracks from scratch but i just cant seem to find anyone who can really capture what im trying to achieve and i kinda gave up and leant towards just buying cheap pre-made backing tracks that i felt i could work with and write to.

I regret not paying attention in music theory back in high school and wish i stuck to playing piano!

My first video was just singing into the built in mic on my mac in photobooth LOL

I think your voice in the first video sounded like it lacked some support - most likely because you didn't warm up combined with the fact that you were sitting down. The second video sounded great! My only advice is ALWAYS warm up. Warming up is very important. I warm up even just to sing in the shower :) Even if I have a busy day where I do not sing at all, I still do lip rolls and the like (usually in the shower). Welcome to the forum!

That is a pretty cool whistle. What I did hear is you belting up to about maybe E4 and then you went to whistle and left out the main part, the soprano range but you were just showing extremes. You claim you can sing an E2. I would find that much more amazing than your whistle. Even if I had a cold, smoked 10 cigarettes, drank a beer and hollered at someone, I will never get as low as E2. I've gone as low as C3, requiring more support than my high notes and some intrinsic anchoring (from Pillars 2.0). My top usable note is Bb5 though, if i really relax and the song goes for it, I can manage a C6 for an accent.

Some people here are blunt. And others value that bluntness. I prefer to applaud what I thought was good, hoping that leads someone to repeat good things and the bad things extinguish from lack of reward. I really stink at being blunt, so I gave it up. Don't get me wrong; I can say something that was not intended to hurt feelings and still hurt feelings, anyway.

One thing I have learned, the hard way, myself. Pitch accuracy is king, here. And we avoid auto-tune with a religious zeal.

Also, pick songs that are within your voice type and skill level. Nothing breeds success like success.

And when someone says you did something wrong or not well, it is not a judgement of you as a person, or your worth in the world. It is a comment on a sound that you made. It's hard to detach like that. Singers are made of ego, just like other musicians.

You know how many singers it takes to change a light bulb?

Five. One to do it, 4 to sit around saying "I can do that."

I liked your single that you linked in. Is that ink real or was it put on for the video?

I agree with Geno. It sounds like a professionally produced track. All pro tracks are auto-tuned, whether we like it or not. But that's a bridge we'll all burn when we get to it.

I would still like to hear you croak an E2. :) I can't, but I can admire others who can.

I can imagine you whistling a C#7 but I would imagine it is not a belt, just a well-resonated whistle.

You will have some fans in this forum, mainly those who are into R & B, like your single. A number of others, like Snejk, are into heavy metal opera, a totally different genre and sound ideal. But the basics are the same. Pitch control, breath management, tone.

And don't worry, I've been critiqued by Snejk, too. It only left a little flesh wound. It's a neat looking scar, now. :lol:

And I don't even have a pro-produced audio. I stink at recording and mixing and so I often accept graciously the work of others on mixing my voice. And I certainly don't have as much equipment as others here, let alone the better quality of recording/mixing software that they have. Doesn't stop me, though. "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

Lots of people are here to help, even if their phrasing is "indelicate."

I listenned to both videos.

On the first, I was really impressed on how you are using your full voice: open, forward and well focused. Your tone is very nice, very pleasant to hear. Relative pitch is working fine. If you are already working with a coach, keep it up. If not, consider searching for one, if possible classical that is willing to work with your voice in your actual repertoire.

The second is just great. Really, very well produced and a great interpretation line. GJ!

About the whistles, they seem well executed (dont really know the technical side), but for real ... I dont really see why use them besides on a few details on songs. I would keep the focus on your full voice.

Send more material please! :D

I liked your single that you linked in. Is that ink real or was it put on for the video?

I agree with Geno. It sounds like a professionally produced track. All pro tracks are auto-tuned, whether we like it or not. But that's a bridge we'll all burn when we get to it.

I would still like to hear you croak an E2. :) I can't, but I can admire others who can.

I can imagine you whistling a C#7 but I would imagine it is not a belt, just a well-resonated whistle.

You will have some fans in this forum, mainly those who are into R & B, like your single. A number of others, like Snejk, are into heavy metal opera, a totally different genre and sound ideal. But the basics are the same. Pitch control, breath management, tone.

And don't worry, I've been critiqued by Snejk, too. It only left a little flesh wound. It's a neat looking scar, now. :lol:

And I don't even have a pro-produced audio. I stink at recording and mixing and so I often accept graciously the work of others on mixing my voice. And I certainly don't have as much equipment as others here, let alone the better quality of recording/mixing software that they have. Doesn't stop me, though. "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."

Lots of people are here to help, even if their phrasing is "indelicate."

Hi, Thanks for the feedback. Yes all my tattoos are real :)

There is a mariah carey song called "If its over" Towards the end she reaches an A6 i think? I can belt all the notes in that song with my chest voice, just an example of my range as im not too smart when it comes to notes on the piano, i failed in a lot of theory work when i was studying music as all i wanted to do was sing and record.

This will sound very retarded but i can go as low as the 12th note on the piano (including sharps) And i was pretty sure that was around the second octave, correct me if im wrong please, i really need to learn how to play piano i think it will really benefit me haha.

I have a very temperamental voice, some days i struggle so bad to hit anything in the high 4th octave and other days i can belt all the way up til the last 12 notes on the piano just depends on how warmed up i am or if i was around air-conditioning all day.

But as i mentioned, today i am picking up my condenser so i will be able to record better quality videos from home, will let you know soon as i post a video showing more of my range :)

I listenned to both videos.

On the first, I was really impressed on how you are using your full voice: open, forward and well focused. Your tone is very nice, very pleasant to hear. Relative pitch is working fine. If you are already working with a coach, keep it up. If not, consider searching for one, if possible classical that is willing to work with your voice in your actual repertoire.

The second is just great. Really, very well produced and a great interpretation line. GJ!

About the whistles, they seem well executed (dont really know the technical side), but for real ... I dont really see why use them besides on a few details on songs. I would keep the focus on your full voice.

Send more material please! :D

Thank you :)

Will be posting up more videos soon which will be more aimed at showing my whole range :)

In scientific notation, middle C on the piano (the C note in the middle of the keyboard) is C4. In european notation, that is C1, vocally. My lowest full note without amplifaction below that is the C below that C. I can go a little lower but my volume is drastically reduced. The highest note I have managed is 2 C's above the middle C. That would be C6, but really, my usable range is the next black key below that, Bb5.

In scientific notation, middle C on the piano (the C note in the middle of the keyboard) is C4. In european notation, that is C1, vocally. My lowest full note without amplifaction below that is the C below that C. I can go a little lower but my volume is drastically reduced. The highest note I have managed is 2 C's above the middle C. That would be C6, but really, my usable range is the next black key below that, Bb5.

Ok so what is my lowest then? If its around the secOnd D on the piano? Which octave is that?

That would be D3 in scientific, D -1 in european. Is that you lowest usable note without a mic? You could be a mezzo soprano.

I don't know your training or the full extent of your voice but you tend to belt and other than the whistle, I would hesitate to think of you as coloratura. Not deep enough to be alto. Of course, all those opera terms don't mean much in pop music.

I'm sorry in advance for being so uneducated in this area but I tried the 'find your octave' videos on YouTube and also sang along with Mariah Carey's demonstration of a C2 as her lowest note and I can hit it easily so this is why I'm confused when you say it's a C or D3 as I though it was the second octave.

So then Mariah would be C3 not C2 as she states? As I just go by what note she can hit as I compare myself with her because I can hit all the same notes and I don't know anyone who can help me out with this issue haha

Anyways my mic arrived today and I've begun making some videos that demonstrate my range and I'd love feedback so I'll keep u posted :)

Thanks so much for ur help

Archived