Review my singing! Queen - Radio Ga Ga

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello, I am back again and I recorded another song, this time Radio Ga Ga. I think I figured out what the previous breathy sounding problem was (as you will hear again when I try to go higher up) : either those notes are in my bridge and I am not skilled enough to hit those notes with enough power yet, or I lose support in my voice as I try to go higher up. The notes where I'm not trying to go high don't sound breathy (I don't think), so I think with some training I'll be able to sound not so weak going up there (although, I don't sound weak if I go further up, so it supports the idea of those notes being in my bridge)

http://www.box.com/s/68usjtt269cp8qf8n8z5

please leave any feedback (negative, positive, it all helps!)

EDIT: Also, I think I'm getting sick so that might have someting to do with why i sounded like that

Maintain your breath pressure. When you drop off the pressure, the pitch is dropping off. Also, it sounds like you are singing in a closet. You need to sing like you just don't care. Wake up the dogs. Scare the cats. Also, in the chorus, it centers around one note but you changed that as you went. "All we hear is" is on the correct center. "Radio gaga, radio gugu" should also center around the same central pitch.

It is still breathy, very breathy.

Look, you have one thing thats on your side, your pitch perception seem to be working well. But in everything else you got a lot of work to do man. Its not sounding good, not at all.

So, keeping it real, you have to decide if you want to sing or not, and then if the answer is yes, look for a coach and work it out. You CAN learn and how good you will be will be entirely up to you, but working alone from this stage is risky. You need a coach.

You may not believe me, but many coachs would rather work with someone in your current stage of development than to have to dismantle a ton of bad habits in order to even begin working.

Since you are in this forum, I understand that you want to sing. So go for it. Find a coach, and train it!

GL!

It's not really singing, it's more like you're trying to whisper to someone from a distance..

I think that once you get the confidence to really try to sing (out loud) your voice has quite potential.

Not that I can sing, but I'm just saying ^^

Maintain your breath pressure. When you drop off the pressure, the pitch is dropping off. Also, it sounds like you are singing in a closet. You need to sing like you just don't care. Wake up the dogs. Scare the cats. Also, in the chorus, it centers around one note but you changed that as you went. "All we hear is" is on the correct center. "Radio gaga, radio gugu" should also center around the same central pitch.

I really felt like I was singing pretty loud, LOL! I'll try singing with more power in my next recording. Oooh, I didn't catch that it was centered around one note :o I'll have to listen more carefully. As for the breath pressure, I did kinda feel that as I went higher up I started using up more air, so I'll try to see what I can do about it haha. Thank you for your input!

It is still breathy, very breathy.

Look, you have one thing thats on your side, your pitch perception seem to be working well. But in everything else you got a lot of work to do man. Its not sounding good, not at all.

So, keeping it real, you have to decide if you want to sing or not, and then if the answer is yes, look for a coach and work it out. You CAN learn and how good you will be will be entirely up to you, but working alone from this stage is risky. You need a coach.

You may not believe me, but many coachs would rather work with someone in your current stage of development than to have to dismantle a ton of bad habits in order to even begin working.

Since you are in this forum, I understand that you want to sing. So go for it. Find a coach, and train it!

GL!

Was it really that breathy? In that case, I'm not sure how to sound not breathy :o In any case, I'm in a voice class right now so I can probably ask my teacher about it. Thank you for being honest :)

It's not really singing, it's more like you're trying to whisper to someone from a distance..

I think that once you get the confidence to really try to sing (out loud) your voice has quite potential.

Not that I can sing, but I'm just saying ^^

Haha, like I said, it didn't sound like a whisper when I was singing it :P. You really think my voice has potential? That means a lot to me :) Thank you!

Hey BG, it could be your mic. We had another member here, Ronron, who started out with the smallest mic, whatever comes with the laptop he was using. And it sounded like he was whispering in a closet. Then, one time, he got a good sound and did "Pink" by Aerosmith and I really liked it.

So, maybe your problem is equipment. Trust me, I understand that limitation. Through the grace of others, I have been able to upgrade my mics. Now I have a studio condenser mic (and other stuff) given to me by Thanos (akawrd) and a few months ago, thanks to having a job, I was able to save pennies and get myself a Sennheiser e835, an honest-to-goodness dynamic stage mic, which I use for recording, as it will put up with my blistering highs even better than the condenser mic. Though I still like the condenser mic for acoustic recording. It makes my 40 dollar acoustic guitar sound great and I am too lazy to set up the amp, the Flying V, and the Roland digital effects unit, though I should, some day.

Archived