Help Me

No, I'm not asking for help....ok well I am but... as for the subject line "Help Me," it's the title of the song I'm posting. :D

But I am asking for help. I know where things go wrong most times and I hear when I'm off pitch. I'm sure as singers you all know that this happens and that a lot of times you sing a song good then all of a sudden poof, the bottom falls out. I don't do retakes. I video it and I'm done with it. Like a performance, there is only one shot. So sometimes you get a bad one (or two, lol). But I'm not setting out to be a pro or carve out a career, not at this stage of my life. Although I am the type to leave all doors open and let the chips fall where they may. I go on cruises once a year and this year I went twice. That is when I sing, during karaoke on the cruise. So that amounts to 3 times in the last 6 years! Other than that I only sing in my car (every day for an hour to 90 minutes). But I'd like to do more singing. Karaoke isn't my first choice but other than trying to be a pro or getting into a band it's all I've got. And I'm not really looking to do any pro singing or band stuff. I don't have the time. But anything I do I like to do good and study it so that is what I'm doing now. Why not be as good as you can; even if it's just for yourself?

Coaching/lessons start in a couple of days plus I learned a lot here already and the critiques help. But like I said, I know there is a lot I can do to improve and to really hone the craft. "BUT" at this point all I'm looking for is to make sure when I sing in front of people that I'm not making a fool of myself because my voice sucks! :) If I'm not and I do have some kind of voice then the rest will fall into place as it is fit. That is, I will continue to improve (especially knowing I have a voice or skill worthy of perusing) and the more I get out there then who knows what happens in the future. If nothing that is fine, as long as I can get up once and awhile and entertain a few people and know I can sing and that I'm sounding decent or "good." Karaoke, parties, a friends band, whatever.

Thanks for everything thus far and your patience. I've been trying to cover different ranges of songs.

Now, here is an old blues tune by Sonny Boy Williamson II one of the godfathers of Blues harp playing. The guy most players try to copy and many big time players learned from. This song is a classic among harp players.

This video isn't about the harp though. I'm just playing along best I can. I noticed a stuck reed on my harp about 10 seconds into the song (excuses excuses). The rest of the bad notes are just me...ha ha.

Here goes.

http://youtu.be/Y2pvTiyGgjk

You hit my sweet spot! Love the harmone/bluesy stuff.:cool: That was good.

What kind of critique are you looking for? You have a lot of latent talent but I don't think it makes a lot of sense to get into details in a critique type way... you look like you are enjoying the moment and not interested in technical changes. Or probably I'm thinking it wouldn't be as fun for you. I don't know.

I f you are wanting more refined technique, I would recommend something like Robert Lunte's program to start a disciplined approach. I can throw out a few suggestions...

learn your material better, I feel like you are not prepared enough.

work on your breath management.. always a problem for most people getting serious

I think you have LOTS of easy room to improve rapidly and you sound good already. and since you are already hanging around here, you will definitely pick up a lot of helpful insight.

Keep it up.. I enjoy listening and reading your comments!

Thanks. Yes, I am aware of breath control. I noticed something in my other video of "Running on Faith" when I watched it back. On the higher notes where I had to stretch, my shoulders went up first. What I think I'm doing in the bigger notes like that song, is singing through my throat or trying to open my throat to push air up and out. Thus the big inhale first. On the way home tonight I sang that song and moved the air up above my palate (I guess) and got a little of what felt like twang or that the air/sound was behind my nose and it felt better.

Unprepared? :D I never prepare. You are right again. No rehearsal and no practice runs. Just a spur of the moment decision. "Hey, I have a few minutes how about a video!!" Then I rush. As for critique, maybe that's the wrong word. I just want to make sure I can sing or that I'm on the right track. I'll iron out the rest over time. I've gotten decent reviews thus far so maybe I can do this.

In the few days I've been here I learned a lot.

Thanks

Tommy

I'm like you, Tommy. Everything is live with me. Either make it or break. Live, there are no re-takes. Live, if you stop the song because of a mistake, it's a far worse crime than just rolling on.

But recording keeps things for all time. For example, there are a number of times where I recorded something that I always do better without the pressure of recording. And I could the song perfectly afterwards. But I will endure the critique for all time because that's all someone else heard. That is, I might have gotten pitchy in a song at one point but that point is now existing forever on a server in the internet. Even if I have not made that same mistake since then.

That's why the smart guys around here buy pro quality recording equipment and software. And then may spend a month or so, recording one song until each part is perfect, and then mix it perfectly.

So, one of the hardest things I did was on "Fullmoon," where I forced myself to record the song in sections, so that those sections could be mixed independently. And if there was a problem in one section, I could re-record just that one section.

End result, the song bombed with some people but others thought it was a good effort. Primary complaint was that I was pitchy (off true pitch.) I've spent the last month or so listening to it and I can see where I made mistakes and not all of them are related to pitch, either.

I understand what you're saying Ron and it makes sense. But I'm not really looking to make a recording that will stand the test of time. Doing that is like a pro trying to sell himself to a record company :D At this point I'm just trying to get an idea of where I stand. When "I" listen to myself, I don't like it. When others listen I have received some compliments. I came here to learn a few things (which I am) then noticed the critique section and decided, what better place to see if the compliments are true. Aside from all the crappy recording and sound issues. The cheap backing track, no mic, or recording equipment, I just wanted to know how my natural voice is. This way I know where to go from here. I was on a harmonica forum and I made a few similar videos. My harp playing never got any great reviews but most used to comment on my vocals. I was always happier about that anyway. So again...just tryin' to see where I stand.

But I know what you mean. Even doing retakes would help if I had that kind of time. The last two songs I posted (Clapton) I know I do better than that. But I let it stand. On the way home from work that night I sang them much better and fixed the bad spots, but I always sing better at night. I can't record at night, I get home late. So be it :)

Maybe someday I'll get something recorded on a some software or something but that won't be anytime soon. :) First I need to improve my straight out of the box voice. And as I've said above, I'm not looking to go anywhere with this at the moment. Just seeing if I have the potential. At the moment I'm just singing for me. What happens in the future? I leave that open to anything.

If I get compliments on the forum/internet or thumbs up or even not bad's (or at least not any "you sucks") then I feel I can do this.

Thanks again bro

Tommy

I just want to make sure I can sing or that I'm on the right track. I'll iron out the rest over time. I've gotten decent reviews thus far so maybe I can do this.

In the few days I've been here I learned a lot.

The answer is you can definitely do this. I think there are a lot of people on this board that have sung with no training and eventually went to the next level and started learning about all the techniques that get you over your obstacles. Also just learning the basic principles can be enormously enlightening. But the real key after that is patience and dedication to practicing and never stop learning. If you got it in your blood, which it sounds like you do, this will put you on the right track.

Archived