What technique is this singer using? Head voice? something else?

josiah

This is a video of a local musician and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the vocal technique he is using to sing at the range he is singing? Is it head voice? Reinforced falsetto? or simply belting? Ive read a lot about the different techniques and wasn't sure.

watch 1:35 - the end

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the feedback. So is connected head voice the same thing as mixed voice that your hear about on all of those 24 cd programs floating around the internet? Meyers Briggs ECT.. And what's your opinion on that if I wanted to develop a connected head voice what are the best steps to do so? Those cds? Actual lessons? Skype lessons? Thanks again for the feedback.

not always. you arrive at a mixed voice when your head voice is strenghened by engaging your chest register musculature into the making of the tone.

an advanced skill.

why don't you start with learning how to breathe for singing? start from the ground up. you'll be glad you did.

if you can, get in person or skype lessons.

I'm pretty sue I can access my head voice but the tone is awful. You mentioned breathing is a big factor. What other things are helpful for developing better tone and connection when accessing your head voice? Are there specific exercises? Thanks again.

Meyers Briggs??? LOL!!!! You into pschometric assessments?? :)

Like Bob said, start with breathing, then to developing the head voice, and after a long, long time, you'll start hitting the 'mix' in a safe manner..

Skype or in person lessons are awesome if you can manage them..

Also check out www.anthonyfrisell.com for tons of free info..

Lastly, explore this forum - it has tons of threads on these topics - run a search.

cheers

I'm pretty sue I can access my head voice but the tone is awful. You mentioned breathing is a big factor. What other things are helpful for developing better tone and connection when accessing your head voice? Are there specific exercises? Thanks again.

start with basics my friend!!

this is a forum where we are commited to studying and developing the voice. it all starts with the basics.

the voice is developed over time. it's just like learning to drive. you need to know about your vehicle. in addition to getting one-on-one lessons in person or via skype, delve into a good basic voice book. learn all about how the human body actually produces sound.

having this core knowledge will help you immensely. you need a lot of mental visualization and physical competancies to sing well, just like you need a certain skill level to drive a high performance car.

Thanks for all the information. Is there a good book on the subject you'd recommend? And also how much do Skype lessons typically cost? I'm assuming it varies, but just so I could get an idea on a general range. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the information. Is there a good book on the subject you'd recommend? And also how much do Skype lessons typically cost? I'm assuming it varies, but just so I could get an idea on a general range. Thanks again.

there are so many good books out there. it depends on how much you have to spend.

one really good one if you can get a hold of it is "the voice of the mind" by e. herbert-ceasari but it's about $70.00.

skype lessons run anywhere from $50 to $150 a time period, some are 1-hour, some are 1/2 hour.

Archived