Rate me & Brake me

Hi guys, I really hope that some of you might be able to help me.

Let's provide some samples first:

Vanity Fair

Helvellyn

Shortcut Untaken Live

Now, some info. I'm from Poland and I've found this place in order to finally DO something about my vocals, so people all around me including myself would be pleased to hear it. The very last link seems to be the most important one, since it's a live version and those are the ones that matters the most. I know that my voice is not the best one in the world, yet still I was utterly shocked when I listened to it for the first time, 'cause normally I do not make AS big mistakes - it's barely listenable! This gig was performed in a very small place and the equipment's quality was kinda poor so I almost couldn't hear myself, but still - that's one thing. The second one, the big one, is the whole singing issue - I know I need a lot of practice and I'm really desperate to get some feedback from you. I'd love to get some tips, some links, some tutorials, advices from your personal experiences, ANYTHING that could help. No matter what, I'd love to keep on going with my band but to do that, the quality of my singing must be improved, which is what I hope to achieve with your help.

I think that the biggest problem I have is lack of technique. Sometimes I force myself too much, my throat feels sore after rehearses, but most importantly - I can't seem to work out how to sing via my diaphragm. I would also like to know how to practice my voice at home and keep it warmed up, to improve it's condition.

Hm, when I learned to sing with the diaphragm, my teacher I had back then, told me to hold out a chair in each arm, holding them high and the sing. From what I understand of singing from the diaphragm, is that you need to find some kind of force, that holds your air in.

I use this exercise daily for support:

Inhale around 80% of your capacity (whatever that's comfortable) and then hold your tongue right behind your bottom teeth and produce the most silent ssss sound you can make, and do it for so long time you can. Like a ballon running very slowly out of air.

Here's is a clip of me doing it. If it's not clear to hear, then; I am just emptying my lungs with air and then I take a good breath and then try to SSSS for as long as you can, when you hit around 60sec, be very proud! I was!

www.rofleren.dk/music/ssss.wav

Archived