Tickle

NCdan

Let me preface this by saying I don't practice fry/screaming nearly often enough. It's someting I like to toss in to spice things up. But recently I've been getting a tickling sensation when fry screaming. This doesn't hurt at all, it just tickles. I can almost equate it to the sensation you get when you have a cold and you get that itch in the back of your throat. It doesn't seem to affect the sound, but it is so annoying that I have to stop. This happens more often on higher pitches. Does anyone know or have as guess as to what I'm doing wrong?

:D

Does it only tickle WHEN you're singing and not afterwards? In any case, if it's so annoying that you have to stop, you're probably doing something wrong, or you're practising screaming for too long at a time. Some guys recommend screaming for only maybe 2-5 minutes and then take a break for a few hours before you try it again.

According to CVT, if you feel a tickle, it is wrong and you should stop and take a break. It doesn't have to "hurt" to be wrong. You should not be getting that sensation. I get that too sometimes when practicing different scream / distortion techniques - I know it's wrong and I stop.

The tickle is damage happening.

Even before it tickles, when you feel effort in your larynx, damage is happenning too.

And those are the most dangerous kinds of damage, because you CAN manage to ignore them and sing like this over extended periods of time. When you do something that is painfull, you know immediately that its wrong, and unless you like pain, you stop.

Thats why comfort is the reference, not pain.

OK guys, thanks. Maybe I try too hard and/or push too much and I need to relax more. I think I need to work on transitioning from different vocal techniques on the fly. If I sing in fry for a couple songs I really get in the zone and have great screams. It's jumping back and forth that tends to give me problems.

Archived