TVS Teacher & Student : Sergio Calafiura Sings "Roxanne"...

• Administrator

Amazing singing, really good pitch awareness and very keen sense of dynamics..

But the pronunciation could use some work ;)

Thats because he is Italian. He doesn't speak English at all. So for someone that doesn't even speak the language, I would have to say its pretty damn good.

Thats because he is Italian. He doesn't speak English at all. So for someone that doesn't even speak the language, I would have to say its pretty damn good.

I think he sounds fantastic. But I agree with Snejk about the pronunciation which could use work. I know you mentioned he doesn't know English, but that isn't a crutch, just means more work on getting the tones of words correctly... Afterall, that song he is singing is done by someone with a strong accent himself, but he sounds North American when singing (as do many singers)..

With that said -- Who gives a crap.. the main essentials are there, and he did a great job.. I'd actually LOVE to hear him sing it in Italian.. I think that would absolutely ROCK..

d.

• Administrator

Agreed, singing it in Italian would of been even more interesting... I think you underestimate how difficult it is to achieve the diction of a foreign language that is not your native tongue. You would be surprised... Germans cannot, make the "th" sound... its the funniest thing to try to get them to "th", they can't do it. Italians, French, Germans... all say "singing" by pronouncing the "g" in sing... it is not an "ng" sound, its a "g". It sounds like "Seen Ging"... just funny little things... but believe me ... Americans can't speak their languages any easier... Although Italian and German is somewhat intuitive... but French? Forget it... It is SO hard for English speakers to speak French and French to speak English... very messed up.

Consequently, .... students from different languages can sometimes get better results if they train with open vowels from their own language, instead of "Eh, Ah & Uh" as I typically prescribe.

In any case, I digress... got to get up and go to the studio for 10 hours of teaching... later.

Excellent job.

And right about the difficulty of singing in another language.

I have a butchered version of "Sole Mio" that I would sing, with a mexican accent, which is different than italian, or even castillian spanish. Then I would sing it in English for those who didn't know spanish. I would have to record it and email it to you, Robert. Some slight profanity in it.

But I like this version. Everyone expects the changing time sigs of the original. But this is a pleasant surprise. And I totally believe that Gordon Sumner would like this version, too.

Archived