Statesboro Blues cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

A little something I sang at home to a karaoke track. I'm not thrilled with this karaoke version. There are a few different notes from the original. They kind of catch you by surprise. I'm still trying to figure out how to match them pitch wise.

Once again, my apologies for the cheap recording. A karaoke disk in a laptop, no external speakers, No mic, no equipment.

EDIT:

Oops...forgot the video :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OteBuuqXLh4

Tommy

You are fast becoming one of my favorite singers. You've got the blues in your voice.

I know another song you could do well and knock it out of the park.

I would love to hear you do "The Weight" by the Band.

You've got the right inflection and tonality for that one, too.

@wedwabbit

To be honest, I felt there was a problem with the feel of the song too. As I said in my original post the track was just a touch different in spots. I don't know what it is about these karaoke tracks but although even the good ones sound just like the original, when you sing them (at least when I do) there are a few spots that are slightly different. Different note or pitch. I find that sometimes I find a good track and I'm singing along just fine then all of a sudden wham! WTF?

This song was like that and especially at the beginning (turn your lamp down low), Also on the word "blues." A couple of other spots too. So I ended up kind of making it up as I went along trying to match where the song was going :D.

I didn't really care for this version but hey, what the heck!

It's a funny thing. Singing is a very personal thing and criticism stings worse (to me) than if someone told me my harp playing wasn't too good or my guitar. But I can deal with critique, that is how I learn. Hey, if not for a little rain sometimes we would never really appreciate the sun right? :)

BUT when someone criticizes my "blues" singing for lack of "feeling." Owwwwwwwch!!! That hurts bad. The blues is my home :(:D

It's all good. Thanks for the honest critique. You're right...I noticed it too. I just couldn't find my comfort zone with the track. I think I sing the original better.

Tommy

You are fast becoming one of my favorite singers. You've got the blues in your voice.

I know another song you could do well and knock it out of the park.

I would love to hear you do "The Weight" by the Band.

You've got the right inflection and tonality for that one, too.

Thanks Ron,

I'm really flattered bro. :)

The Weight! Wow, I love that song; how come I didn't think of that? Wow.

I've never really given it a shot though. I tried it once and it was a little high for me. Hmmm, you've got me thinking now. Great song. I'll check it out.

Tommy

Tommy, I can see what you mean about the tracks. It is totally different if you were performing this with your own band, arranged the way you want night after night. If that were the case, I'm sure your singing to it would be a different feel.

Some of the tracks are very good and there are some that fit my range even better than the originals. But then there are others that are just a touch different. Not different all the way through but just in certain spots. Drives me nuts :D I love singing "One Way Out" by the Allman Brothers. I have a karaoke track that sounds like the song until I try to sing it. Can't do it. But there is a silver lining. I worked out my own version to sing with that track!

Same thing happened with Bathroom Window (Joe Cocker) When I listened I loved it. Wow exactly like the original! Yea right HA! I started to sing it and bam! A dip in pitch here and a rise there. Keeps me on my toes though :)

Tommy

Archived