Ingo Titze's straw singing has saved me.

Rate this topic

I think I know how to do the exercise correctly, but what is the goal or purpose?

I'd like to know this also. It feels like lip bubbles do the same thing, only better.

Edit: whoopsie.

Edit2: whyt not just "blow o's?" A muffled oh sound feels exactly like a straw but i can choose the resistance.

Thank you guys. That's an awesome point and really helps. One thing though: is the point in the straw exercise to keep a consistent support? I seem to (no matter how loud or quieti vocalize through a straw), really push or pull chest so the higher I get the more overdriven the sound feels. And if i don't push, it feels i'm just vocal frying through my passagio and the flip is really prominent. I don't flip during my normal scales so it's frustrating as hell.

Is there supposed to be a steady stream of air like in the video above? How is it supposed to feel? It feels like i really have to concentrate holding back the air to keep the tone consistent. But it does feel like belting or pulling chest unless i just let it drift (starting really soft and letting the voice drift into head resonance).

Also I've personally found it key to not sing too heavy with the straw exercise. At least at first. Take it light and bridge early to head voice. That might be against what Titze recommends but it seems to work for me and results in a sensation closer to what I know healthy singing to feel like. Maybe if you are intending to do some belting, you could try the pushier way Titze recommends too. But finding a middle ground is difficult because of the semi-occluded setup, it forces you to either bridge much earlier than you'd expect, or to maintain the full weight as you ascend. That's important to realize.

Again, my question was already answered. Sorry bout that, and thanks again Owen!

Hello, I'm actually a student of one of Titze's associates, same suite actually though I haven't seen him yet. The straw exercise is actually a semi occluded phonation balancing the air around the vocal folds. This exercise also lowers the passaggio point thus making it a great passaggio workout as well. As it has been mentioned, it is important that the air goes through the straw and not the nose. You can plug your nose if it helps. The diameter of the straw varies the resistance of air needed. If you are struggling, you may want to start big and get smaller.

Another great thing about this is if you go up on a 5 tone scale (ascending and descending) and release the straw from your mouth on the top note so you're not using the straw anymore is that it does work out your upper chest voice region without pushing.

Cheers