Just the way you are.

• TMV World Legacy Member

I'm now a little over 2 months into self teaching myself on how to sing with no experience in music before please critique me harshly and tell me how can I improve pleaseeeee :) higher notes are near the end

Thank-you for your time =)

dont pull up chest. use head voice.

Where are you from?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that just yet haha I'll go ahead and do some research on it

I'm from Mississippi why do you ask?

Thanks for the tip!

Hi Nyan,

Here is my 2 cents. :) Telling you how to improve can be a difficult task. Not just for you, but for anyone just setting out. There are so many small details in singing technique that all come into play and combine with each other that putting it into a post, would get out of hand.

You say you have been singing for 2 months. that is very new and because of that there are typical pitfalls. The tone of your voice, IMO, is nice. I think with practice and good instruction you would sing well. However at this point, at least in the example you provided, it seems you lack the know how. So you have the tool but just don't know how to use it...yet ;)

In the example you provided, it sounds more like you are speaking the phrases rather than singing them. Also, it is very staccato or choppy. The notes don't flow or the words don't blend with eachother. Also the pronunciation of vowels needs to be learned. For that matter some of the consonants too as well as the pronunciation and annunciation of certain words. But that is something we all go through at the start naturally. What you need is good learning material, books and CD's, this forum and the best thing would be hands on instruction. Standing in front of someone so that they can correct you is a good idea.

Toward the end of the song when you started to actually "sing" a little your voice sounded nice. All you need is to learn. Practice.

Good luck

Tommy

@Tommy

Thanks for the critique yeah I felt like I was just speaking and not pronouncing the words right...There are no good vocal teachers near me that I can locate which sucks cause I can only go so far with self-taught programs....

What would be some programs that you would recommend that you had success with in the past?

Thanks for the tips!

I'm from Mississippi why do you ask?

So you are native speaker of English.

Interesting, your pronunciation seems to be a little odd, especially your coronal dental /θ/ consonant e.x. [thing, three]. Your connected speech is unusual as well - very staccato.

Apparently I have to refresh my knowledge.

Ok, that's clear now. Once Tommy said

Also the pronunciation of vowels needs to be learned. For that matter some of the consonants too as well as the pronunciation and annunciation of certain words

My singing -----> http://soundcloud.com/richardstomach

@devaitis It might be because I'm vietnamese/american I grew up speaking mostly Vietnamese. What are some things or exercises I should do in order to improve my pronunciations?:/

Thanks!

@Tommy

Thanks for the critique yeah I felt like I was just speaking and not pronouncing the words right...There are no good vocal teachers near me that I can locate which sucks cause I can only go so far with self-taught programs....

What would be some programs that you would recommend that you had success with in the past?

Thanks for the tips!

Actually I haven't used any programs but have read a couple of books that have come with CD's and vocal exercises. I have also been singing and trying to sing batter for many many years looking for tips and morsels from where ever I could. I have also been studying much of this site and trying to put into practice what I learn here. Members here seem to have had success with the Four Pillars program put out by Robert Lunte the founder of this forum.

Others have been following the methods of vocal instructors via books such as Anthony Frissell. It's all about study. Step by step.

Read a lot. look through the Vocal Technique section of the forum and study old posts. Look for things like support, breath management, vowels, breathing, covering, sirens, lip trills, passagio, chest voice, head voice.

Use the search function. Read, read read. Absorb, absorb absorb. Sing, sing, sing. develop an exercise routine.

Actually I haven't used any programs but have read a couple of books that have come with CD's and vocal exercises. I have also been singing and trying to sing batter for many many years looking for tips and morsels from where ever I could. I have also been studying much of this site and trying to put into practice what I learn here. Members here seem to have had success with the Four Pillars program put out by Robert Lunte the founder of this forum.

Others have been following the methods of vocal instructors via books such as Anthony Frissell. It's all about study. Step by step.

Read a lot. look through the Vocal Technique section of the forum and study old posts. Look for things like support, breath management, vowels, breathing, covering, sirens, lip trills, passagio, chest voice, head voice.

Use the search function. Read, read read. Absorb, absorb absorb. Sing, sing, sing. develop an exercise routine.

Thanks! I just really started reading through the posts of this forum so far I have learned A LOT I'm currently on the SBGALT program and will look into The four pillars soon. These next few months will be a challenge.

Archived