Queensryche - Anybody Listening? Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

I did this to see exactly how weak and puny my head voice is lol. I know its thin and quacky :( I am working on it though! Let me know what ya think, I will not be offended!

Also, this song is a B*itch - it is a true test of bridging up and down.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11566827&q=hi&newref=1

www.drop-head.com

• Administrator

H Keith, happy to help... Glad I saw your post. I have been playing with "Eyes of a Stranger' lately, a real nut cracker.

Strengths:

- Nice vibrato and croons.

- Gorgeous tone!

- I like your bridges, not choky and in a decent control, considering how hard it is.

- From 4:00 to 4:43 is Great Singing! Sounds very cool Keith!

... Hmm, actually pretty good Keith, nice work. Bro, are you training, because it sounds like you are taking some lessons?

Things to work on to make better:

- Listen more closely to the pitch, needs to tune up just a pinch.

However, the main thing is your intrinsic anchoring. Need to beef up the tongue leveraging and larynx dampening significantly Keith. Sometimes it does kick in, I can hear it trying to kick start, keep going Keith.. just keep working the tongue and larynx stabilizing and it will firm up. At this stage of your TVS training, don't be afraid to ratchet up the intrinsic muscularity,,, 'muscle up"! Its too "careful" on the intrinsic anchoring. That is coming from the past, from earlier stages of your development when it served you well. But now that you are getting the strength and coordination to maintain and sustain your high performance phonation, engage it. Fly that bird Keith! When you get to those heady placements, I want you to push your tongue and get after that larynx. Also remember, the level of compression on the folds is influencing the depth of the larynx. If you feel you can't get the "dampened overtone", trim off some compression from the vocal folds.

Try that and then shoot up another file.

Coach

Thanks for listening Robert :) I can feel the larnyx dampening do the right thing sometimes, and it's cool when I do it right! I work on your prgram a ton, and I can really feel the results. This past 2 weeks I've been only doing workouts because at my last show, I talked way too loud to people and messed up my voice a bit. So, I just started singing covers a few days ago (again). Normally, I try and sing some difficult covers after the workout so I can see where I need work. This song is a nightmare lol. From it, I learned my bridging is getting a ton better, and my support is almost correct; but my anchoring, tongue leveraging, and larnyx dumping need work. So, thats the next thing to fix. I'll give it a week, and sing it again and see what happens. And yes, Eyes of a Stranger is crazy hard. The low head tones and high chest tones in my voice wear me out still.

Oh, I am taking lessons... From you lol

www.drop-head.com

I think the 4 Pillars have worked well for you at the bridge. And I could see you doing "Eyes of a Stranger."

What's funny is all the people that think Tate lost it by the Operation Mindcrime came along. Well that stuff and this song is actually harder to sing than "Queen of the Ryche." Most anyone can get into a headvoice and just stay there. It's way tougher to sing the middle of the 4th octave, which is where a lot of this song is and where most people's passaggi is.

I think, too, as you work on strengthening your voice, you're going to have to change how you mix a recording. You tend to mix high, loud parts as softer, farther back in the mix, which is fine, when you are dealing with a loudmouth like me. You might end up, mix-wise, keeping the volume on the high parts, rather than cutting it back.

I don't mess with the volume of the vocal track. I do the eq & compression for the whole thing and just sing these songs in 1 take and thats it. I do use different placements of how I allign my mouth with the mic - so far, it seems to be working.

www.drop-head.com

Sounds great man! I agree. Your vibrato and tone are gorgeous, you seem to be really catching that 'Tate-esque' tone.... silky smooth. Can I make a request? I'd like to hear "Walk in the Shadows" love that one! I reckon you'd sound great on it.

Sounds great man! I agree. Your vibrato and tone are gorgeous, you seem to be really catching that 'Tate-esque' tone.... silky smooth. Can I make a request? I'd like to hear "Walk in the Shadows" love that one! I reckon you'd sound great on it.

Find me a karaoke backing track and I'll do it lol. Thanks for the comments and listening!

www.drop-head.com

I really think you have a similar tone as Tate in some of your stuff. I think I've mentioned that before. This song is a good example. I think some of the high parts were a little disconnected for me but overall the song was very good. Really nice job and again great tone.

Tommy

Hi Keith, really good effort here. Queensryche stuff is definitely not easy to sing because it requires so much power and control.

I think you did a good job here, you have a really nice tone to your voice, similar to Tate on the lower parts. Your vibrato is nice too, very defined and even.

The higher parts need quite a bit more power and energy, but you know that already. Keep working on it and you will get there. Like I said, these are hard songs to sing, which is probably why we are all drawn to try and sing them!

Looking forward to more Keith, keep it up.

Max

Archived