Dream Theater Cover - Guess which one :)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Love this song to pieces. I did all the background vocals just for fun.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11573502&q=hi&newref=1

www.drop-head.com

Great job Keith! Harmonies sound good and nicely mixed. I love that song too. That was the last album with Kevin and then the song writing changed a bit for DT. I personally prefer the song writing from Images and Words and Awake over anything since - although there are plenty of great songs later on. They just have a different flavor.

Your tone is fantastic and your diction is right on. Also the harmonies are great, nice work on those.

I think to make it even better, I personally would prefer that the vibrato not be so slow, although I suppose that may be a personal style choice? I'd love to hear a bit more legato through the phrases too. Word-to-word it's very nice, but with words that carry on more than 1 pitch (melisma?), sometimes the latter pitches are different in their timbre and volume. Anyway...!

Great cover!

Funny enough, this was actually the song I was hoping to hear when I saw "Dream Theater Cover". Really cool. Great job on the harmonies.

Great job Keith! Harmonies sound good and nicely mixed. I love that song too. That was the last album with Kevin and then the song writing changed a bit for DT. I personally prefer the song writing from Images and Words and Awake over anything since - although there are plenty of great songs later on. They just have a different flavor.

I'm in the same boat. Jordan Rudess is the absolute epitome of the word "virtuoso". Love the guy.

However, I do miss Kevin Moore being in the band and his songwriting contributions.

I would never say one is "better" than the other as a player, but I've always preferred Kevin's style, simply because it seemed more focused on "atmosphere", whereas Jordan's style is almost comparable to having a second lead guitarist in the band.

I've never been skydiving, but I've zoomed in on Google Earth really, really fast.

Validar - I agree. Jordan is one of the most gifted Keyboardists / Musicians on the planet. But songwriting in a band is a chemistry between people. Lennon and McCartney is a good example. I love the songs they wrote together a lot more than songs they wrote individually. Jordan is a great songwriter too, and DT's songwriting with him is excellent as well. The songs they wrote when Kevin was in the band have this allure that is hard to describe. It's the best of DT - for me.

Keith I can't believe I missed this post. That is a bad ass vibrato you have got. It matches LaBrie perfectly. Personally i think only thing holding you back a little is that you almost sound like your trying to sound like him (and doing it very well) i might be wrong but i'd almost bet any of the slight pitchy bits would completely go if you sing little closer to your actual voice. So says the Scot who sings with an american accent..:rolleyes:

Great job!!

Acoustic version of under a glass moon next with all drums played on the body of the guitar. :lol:

Jonathan

[url]https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-graham1-0[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/JonathanGrahamTUF[/url]
[url]www.facebook.com/theunnamedfaces[/url]
[url]http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/JonathanGraham[/url]

Keith I can't believe I missed this post. That is a bad ass vibrato you have got. It matches LaBrie perfectly. Personally i think only thing holding you back a little is that you almost sound like your trying to sound like him (and doing it very well) i might be wrong but i'd almost bet any of the slight pitchy bits would completely go if you sing little closer to your actual voice. So says the Scot who sings with an american accent..:rolleyes:

Great job!!

Acoustic version of under a glass moon next with all drums played on the body of the guitar. :lol:

Thanks Bro. I actually sang that in my voice. I was going to try to sing it like James, but the backing track I had was somewhat faster than the original, so I sang it normal. Was a bad mix in my headphones, and I really do not have time to make such adjustments perfect with all the school work I have. Find me a backing track for under a glass moon! Dear Lord, I just found a Metropolis Part I backing track! OMG, now if only I could sing it! lol

www.drop-head.com

Hey Keith, I made a lot of homemade Backing tracks of Dream Theater. Let me know

Nice man! How did ya do it? I'll take whatever DT Backing Tracks ya got :)

www.drop-head.com

Archived