Brown Eyed Girl

Rate this topic

I had a chance to sing this with a band This passed February but didn't know the words so I went with Let it Be instead. I'll have that same chance again in September and figure this time I'll do both. So this is my first practice/learning this song.

What do ya think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_G_g6J_5Sg

That song fits you great Tommy. Enjoyed it! You should definitely do that one. I would also like to hear your "Let it Be" when you got it.

On this song, I think you need to get that oo vowel on "you" my brown eyed girl, working with comfortable resonance. It sounds like you are constricting and it's going a little flat. I would just isolate that phrase and play around with it til you find that comfortable configuration that makes the vowel easy and resonant.

Thanks Quincy, I'll mess around with the song and vowels. I was on a cruise last Feb and sang karaoke. But on Monday and Thursday they have a special karaoke night where you sing with a band doing select songs from a short list of maybe 10 or 15 songs. I stopped by on Thursday but didn't like any of the songs so I left. I came back a little later and the girl running the show (she heard me sing a few times in karaoke) suggested Brown Eyed Girl but I didn't know the words or if I could sing it so I decided against it. She thought it was in my range. Too unfamiliar so I'd rather not stumble over phrases. Let it be isn't exactly my perfect song either but I love the song and singing it. So I did that.

It went well :)

But I'm going back in September and want to do Brown Eyed Girl so I thought it was time I started working on it. I'll work on those "oo" vowels.

I will be doing Let it Be again also. I need to work on that too. I'll post a version soon.

I've been constructing my list, I have a lot of work :)

Tommy

Real good summer vibe from you on this track which fits it perfect. Just for an idea try getting your tongue right out of your mouth and move it right as you say the "you" your having probs with and hold the pitch and bring it back into teh mouth with the back of the tongue against the top back teeth (does that make sence??:/ LOL) this is not the finished sound but it should open up to a pharyngeal sound, take some tension out of your jaw and stop the dreaded break just while the muscle memory sets in.

Always helps me find that resonant spot without tension hope it helps but hey if it doesn't work, drop it....but not the tongue lol :P