Having one major singing problem

Rate this topic

Everything wants to get stuck in my throat. I used to naturally always have a forward placement but have at some point in time gotten away from that. I can get it back to where it used to be but it is almost just random.

What are some good excercises for getting and keeping the tone where it needs to be?

if you find yourself singing from the throat, you likely singing with too much tension somewhere. are you configuring to a yawn-like position?....is the throat opened and relaxed?......watch the larynx..is it shooting up?

"ng" sirens

lip bubbles with attention paid to not raising the larynx

"heady mums"

"humming into the mask area"

"singing a very resonant sound like "ohm" "hung" "song"

"sirens on "ah" changing over to "oo."

if you find yourself singing from the throat, you likely singing with too much tension somewhere. are you configuring to a yawn-like position?....is the throat opened and relaxed?......watch the larynx..is it shooting up?

"ng" sirens

lip bubbles with attention paid to not raising the larynx

"heady mums"

"humming into the mask area"

"singing a very resonant sound like "ohm" "hung" "song"

"sirens on "ah" changing over to "oo."

Thank you for the post, I am trying to work on these.

It is impossible to do these correctly without proper breath and support, correct?

I have just learned a completely different way of singing that I need to change. I feel like I produce all of the air, pitch, tone, dynamics, and everything else in my throat. It is proving to be very hard to change this as I actually got pretty good at doing things the wrong way.

Think about it as readjustments. If you stick with what you think sounds good, you won't progress. Always try new techniques. Don't think thoughts like, "i could sing like that if i wanted to", or "if I sang like that it probably wouldn't sound good", or "I don't really need to try that out".

Aside from that psychological part, do the exercises, and try to get more breathy. If your just singing with your throat, you will lack volume and character in real situations. With proper support, your voice will be a producer of your own unique tone, which I consider a feature that surpasses any man-made instrument.