Some constructive criticism please!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Man, I'd really like to improve my vocals. I know they arent too great, and I'm aware that some notes arent in pitch in the song. What are soem other flaws in my singing, how would you fix them and maybe what exercises could help me out? Thanks alot brothers!

Welcome Steve :)

The first thing I would say is that if you already know some notes are off pitch then that would be one flaw as well as something that needs to be fixed! So you answered your own question there didn't you? :D

IMO, your range didn't sound too bad as you didn't seem to strain, and the tone was good too. Your basic problem was that you lack instruction so the vocals were all over the place and not controlled. The phrasing and pronunciation of some words was off also. I would suggest not playing the guitar while singing at this point. Focus on one thing at a time. I felt the guitar playing was throwing off your singing and the singing was throwing off the guitar playing. You were strumming to the syllables you were singing and really accenting the down beats on the guitar.

Get a pitch pipe or use your guitar to match pitch with your voice and vocalize some scales using different sounds and vowels. Sound out a "C" for example, and then vocalize an "ah" or an "oo" or "ee" or whatever to a scale starting on the note you sounded. Move up and down, higher and lower as well as up and down the scale. Check pitch against the instrument (guitar/piano) or pitch pipe.There is a lot of information online. There are many exercises, do a search here and also browse the vocal technique section. Look for books also.

You'll have to learn breath control too. There is a lot to be learned and it takes time and practice...just like the guitar! Too much to explain in a post. I'm not really the guy to explain that stuff anyway :)

Tommy

thanks alot. it means alot to say that i have good tone, because that give me a reason to get better! id love to bring back the bruce dickinson style someday, but its a long ways away!! i will definately do all that you recommended :D

I've wanted to do that song myself for awhile but I can't find a backing track/karaoke track for it.

RE: tone. It's in there somewhere :D Right now it's just tangled in a web of other untrained stuff going on and hard to find. But I didn't think it was bad from what I could hear. Nothing that can't be worked on and improved by better annunciation, control and technique. I'd also suggest learning to sing well while standing and working on posture before sitting and holding a guitar...or just sitting for that matter.

Tommy

yeah, when i stand i do become more fluent and confident, possibly as a result of better air flow. i just feel weird singing without doing something with my hands or without some equivalent volume of music.

i just feel weird singing without doing something with my hands or without some equivalent volume of music.

All things to practice. You need to get comfortable and that takes time and patience; and getting used to. You get out what you put in. :) I'm on the journey too so I know. It goes three steps forward and two back sometimes. But as long as it's going, then that's a good thing. It's the stopping or moving backward too far that will hurt. ;)

I get weirded out sometimes with nothing in my hands, so I'll grab a hairbrush or a pencil or something and make believe it's a mic :D Most times I just take the opportunity to express my emotions through my own body. I let go!

Tommy

Tommy has pretty much said it all and i'm in agreement with his advise. i really think if you can work a bit on support and air flow (breathing low ect) that will really help you and is a good place to start.

nice song choice too!

:cool:

Jonathan

[url]https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-graham1-0[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/JonathanGrahamTUF[/url]
[url]www.facebook.com/theunnamedfaces[/url]
[url]http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/JonathanGraham[/url]

What Tommy said.

And you've got a good range. It's hazardous to type your voice before you really get into training but I would say, judging by the quality of this recording, you have a more lyric or light voice than Bruce. His is more dramatic, or heavier in sound. Which should not stop you from covering Iron Maiden songs, if you wish.

A few pitchy spots, here and there, but not too bad for an initial effort. I confess I was expecting more of the original melody, but make the song your own, as you must.

Your time signature was the loosest thing of all. Tempo changes way worse than I have been guilty of. So, rather than worry about range, for right now, think more of maintaining a constant tempo.

A little pointer to what Tommy was talking about. Inhale only as much as you need for a phrase. But control the exhalation. Doing this will cause you to sing rather than shout.

And we are all expecting you to succeed. Every single one of us has been where you are.

And I think you have a good tone in your voice.

thanks guys, really means alot to hear those things. i love listening to all the different singers on this forum, its like everybody has their own special feature and tone. Hopefully Ill learn alot on my journey here!

I play guitar as well as sing (hence my handle), but I cant give each one enough attention when I try to do them together. To develop you singing, you should put the guitar down for a while.

I recommend lots of recording and listening back to youself to help you spot your own problems and address them. For some good free lessons look here: http://www.youtube.com/user/RocktheStageNYC, I worked though a lot of these and they helped me.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

George has a good point. It's a difference in perspecective. When I was your age, I wsa a guitar player who could sing. Once I started working my voice in earnest, I was and am a singer who plays guitar.

Ron

In those terms, I am a guitar player or a singer, but not both. HAHAHA!

George

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]