Trying to decide if I like this sound or not (short queensryche clip)

• TMV World Legacy Member

http://soundcloud.com/shawn-sisson/raw-qotr-verse

This is me just sort of singing it. One take, not really trying to aim for anything. I don't really want to sound like Geoff Tate. I'm also wondering about the scratchyness. I'm not really doing that on purpose but it shows up in my high singing. I kind of like it but not all the time.This song is one I've worked on here and there for a while and I may try the whole thing eventually. Any kind of feedback is appreciated.

As for the scratchy-ness, it would depend on how long you've been working on grit. It might have become a habit. Tate sings clean. Cool that you got the high note.

As for the sound of your voice, accepting your voice is the hardest thing to do. Others may have suggestions as to how to sound like Tate. I think you need to sound like yourself. And I think you can do this song, in your own voice, whatever your voice is.

And some kudos. This is a monster of a song to do a capella.

My voice kind of reminds me of construction equipment. Even my classical stuff. There's not really anything for me to compare myself to so I never really know when it sounds good. "Good compared to what?" I may ask. But I guess that means I'm doing it right.