Talking to the Moon - Bruno Mars

• TMV World Legacy Member

Another attempt at singing sighhh I never imagined learning to sing can be so difficult when i started a few months ago...please critique me as harshly as possible for extra motivation :)

http://youtu.be/xiKUsa1TxEM

and this is from 2 weeks ago

Were there any improvements?

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!!!

Hey Nyan, this sounds better than your first song posted here so good job, you get points for that :)

But watching and listening to this made me tense. It made me tense because your voice sounded tense. I even think I see your neck tensing in the video! In my humble opinion...I would say stop reaching for the top at this point. It's too easy to develop bad habits. As a beginner pick easier songs to sing. This is a difficult song to pull off. I'm not saying to start very small but at least smaller. Walk first, run later ;) I still say there is a nice tone in there. You just need to train it and stroke it a bit.

You know, there is a sort of old story or proverb or something. Basically it is about a guy who was going to carve an elephant out of a big block of wood. When asked how he does it, he says the elephant is already there. All he has to do is carve away everything that "isn't" an elephant.

Your voice (nice tone) is in there. Get rid off all the stuff around it and bring it out. :) One step at a time...just start carving and shaping. Do your exercises.

Tommy

Thanks Tommy haha I chose this song cause I can relate to it right now; yeah it's probably one of the hardest song to sing for me...what songs would you recommend me sing that fits my voice more? Thanks! I'm still too new at this.

what songs would you recommend me sing that fits my voice more? Thanks! I'm still too new at this.

I don't know to be honest. Just pick something easy....maybe even something out of your usual musical likes.

Ever sing any Billy Joel? "I love you Just The way you Are." I'm sure that's not your type of music but off the top of my head I think it's fairly easy and maybe in your range. I think it goes from chest to middle. maybe even a little higher at some points? It has a nice up and down feel almost like a scale. Ok...at least to me :D

Well, even if you like the song you're singing, then at least break it into smaller parts. Use a couple of lines as exercises and try to master the lines piece by piece.

Tommy

Well, even if you like the song you're singing, then at least break it into smaller parts. Use a couple of lines as exercises and try to master the lines piece by piece.

Tommy

I'm going to try this, thanks! i'll do a re-make of this in a few weeks :D

Hey hey! Alrighty dude, I'm just going to go off of what Tommy said.

What is your voice type?

This song definitely out of your wheel house at the moment. Try out some softer, lower, ballads. When first starting to sing do NOT strain your voice for higher notes. This causes poor and unhealthy vocal habits and could actually lead to vocal DAMAGE, so be careful! =]

If you want to continue singing this song for the time being go into falsesetto in the higher notes.

We all hate practice when we think of it AS practice, but I would recommend vocal excersizes. 15-30 mins everyday.

Some basic Warm-ups:

Sing a 5 note scale on the vowel sounds (Ey, EE, AW, O, Oo) Ascending, then descending. Then move up half a step and repeat.

Falsetto: Start where your voice breaks. Sing an ascending 5 note scale strictly on Oo. Keep moving up by half steps until you notice tension in your throat, then descend. Repeat same scales more than once for maximum effect.

Sing as loosely as possible. Too much tension= BAD

Drink lots of water!