What is the name of this style and Vocalist bible

Rate this topic

freezer01

Hey all, I'm brand new to this crossing over from, Djing/producing and so far i'm loving it :)

Can someone please tell me the name of this style/ technique. Also is there any reading that people could recommend something that covers a wide range of training exercises and maintaining vocal health as i'm new I really want to spend majority of my time on training and development. I'm also snowed in with reading material at the moment so was hoping for one really well known book ie the holy grail of vocals/ singing :)

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16bRiH5zfOY

Cheers Admin, such a helpful comment! This is probably a better example,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBabMxnFQsQ (it starts around 1:08)

What i'm getting at is she isn't actually saying anything but she's creating amazing sound/ melody with her voice. Its a style i'm really drawn toward.

Cheers

I would really recommend the book Complete Vocal Technique, at least to read it through once. It's very very good and covers a lot of aspects of singing. If you are totally new to singing, it might be a bit much to take in. Also they don't use the "regular terms" of chest voice, head voice etc. but uses 4 vocal "modes" instead. Vocal terminology is a jungle wherever you look though.

CVT don't contain a set number of excercises to do in a certain order, rather it provides you with everything and you can pick and choose what excercises you need. There's other set programs that you just follow along to, wich might be easier. None the less, I suggest a read through of that book.

Personally I do like James Lugo's "Vocal Asylum" and Ken Tamplins "KTVA" for set programs, I've found them both quite helpfull. Haven't had personal experience with Robert Lunte's program "Pillars 2.0", but I'm sure it's great too. And if you are going for pop and not rock singing, I think you could benefit from Brett Manning's "Singing Success" as well.

There's a lot of different programs out there, and most have their pro's and considerations. It depends a bit on what you are after. That is why there's not real "holy grail" of singing, since everyone thinks about the voice and voice development a bit differently. I do agree with Bob (videohere) that it's a lot of processing on the vocals from the first clip you posted :)

Roberts Pillars program is a miracle concealed in a 5 X 8 book. Not only does he have a ton of great exercises, he tells you what they do for you. There are cd's and DVD's also. I have not had any experience with the other programs mentioned above.

there are so many great books.

a fabulous book recommendation if you want to learn exactly how the voice works and the importance of allowing the voice to do what nature indended is this one:

"your body, your voice" by theodore dimon....it's a quick read and it's not too technical.

also, the vocals like you heard in the pink floyd song come after some time practising and learning how to release tension.

Cheers Admin, such a helpful comment! This is probably a better example,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBabMxnFQsQ (it starts around 1:08)

What i'm getting at is she isn't actually saying anything but she's creating amazing sound/ melody with her voice. Its a style i'm really drawn toward.

Cheers

The dub step is is computer generated with sampled voice that is then played on a keyboard or manipulated in a mixing software with plug-ins.

The back-up singer for PF, she is twanging like crazy. Something you can learn from 4 Pillars and it's author, Robert Lunte.

With him, you will get the twang of it. It will be twang-a-licious. You might have to change your name to Mark Twang. You will do a twang-up job. Everybody twang chung tonight ....

I guess that's enough puns for now.