How do I tell if I'm belting?

Rate this topic

beegeemang1

Topic, basically. I've been singing some songs with higher pitches, and I want to know if I'm just using the higher part of my voice or if I'm belting the notes. Is there any way to physically tell? Or do I have to have people hear me? (Which I can't do because my recording stuff sucks).

these songs have balls to the wall rock belting...

foreigner, that was yesterday, head games

led zeppelin, living loving maid

queen, kind of magic, show must go on.

the one thing you have to realize about belting is it's very much attitundinal...very much a mental willingness to go there with your voice.

some voices have a very hard time with it, while others just have it.

Well, here it is.

https://www.box.com/s/2d12ce1d0f26d4437d32

I was doing this while walking, so the timing and pitch are probably off since i was doing it without the music in the background. Anyway, I got a new recording device so I'm hoping it sounds better than my last recordings (alas, it sounds a bit shaky since I was walking while doing this, and I wasn't as loud as i'd like to be (except in some parts), because I did not want to scare the children.)

Well, here it is.

https://www.box.com/s/2d12ce1d0f26d4437d32

I was doing this while walking, so the timing and pitch are probably off since i was doing it without the music in the background. Anyway, I got a new recording device so I'm hoping it sounds better than my last recordings (alas, it sounds a bit shaky since I was walking while doing this, and I wasn't as loud as i'd like to be (except in some parts), because I did not want to scare the children.)

my suggestion would be (as always) to find a great vocal teacher. but if you're going to be a d.i.y.'er you have to realize that you really aren't consistently engaging the vocal folds. you are lacking connection.

you cannot train with these obstacles you mentioned. go and try it again.

You would know if you are belting, it's a completely different vocal position, very thick. it doesn't sound like that at all! But that is ultimately a good thing if you're not trying to sound like you're belting. I wouldnt reccomend it for that style.