no bridge

Rate this topic

lordadon

i'm a bass, I can bring my head voice down to C2 and up to... whatever that is in machine gunn eddie. Anyways, i've been working at it for at least 2 years and there's just no bridge, and no mixed voice. I've resorted to staying in belt but my belt can only go so high before it starts to sound very strained and i have to push intensely to sustain it. I've tried all the exercises for 'mix' or bridging, and done the whole laying on your back, leaning over, standing on your head, hanging upside down, whatever, i think i just dont have it, eh?

what exactly do you mean by this? first, what do you mean by head voice? i find it hard to believe you can take it down to a C2 which is below chest for most people (if we are talking c2 as in america... idk if its different for you). are you calling it head because of the sensations you feel? im a bass too, and i feel "head" vibrations in my whole range. you should definitely post a recording explaining these things, and you belting and the same thing in head voice. even just a recording with a phone if its all you have, then someone could definitely help!

Below are two tracks from my emerging band Tasavuh. I belt on both of them, and it works for the style, though i still allways work to progress in both the singing and guitar playing. You can hear my comfort range in both of these pretty much. You see with belting the higher notes sound classical ish... almost bruce dickenson like, except with a lower voice.

http://soundcloud.com/adonfanion/throne

http://soundcloud.com/adonfanion/missions-traveler-tasavuh

You can like tasavuh on facebook.

HEAD VOICE for me sounds exactly like when brett manning does it. it connects to whistle sometimes and it is a very light thing almost squeek, and yes i can get it down to C2, that may be hard to believe but i worked at it for quite a while.

**EDIT** i apologize for the bad mixing, I'm still working on perfecting it, and these are earlier uploads.

thats some pretty awesome stuff!

so your basically trying to get your head voice to sound awesome instead of very light, and in the mean-time youre just belting to replace it?

i dont have a head voice sample from you so i dont know where you at, but ill take a stab at this...

try humming lightly on an mmmm, or do the Ng exercise from SS, i think it does pretty much the same thing. listen for a buzzy, ringy sound. open up to that light head voice but keep that buzzy sound. that should pretty much always be there. then open the mouth, drop the jaw, push the tongue against the bottom teeth, and increase air pressure. this is just shaping everything for resonance so that that light sound turns into a boomy chesty sound. i think transitioning from your powerful chest voice to this powerful head voice is what your not doing, hence no bridge. mess around with that for a bit and see what happens...

In the european singers' octave, a C2 is equal to a C5 in the american numbering system. In european, middle C is C1. Anything below that is - whatever note.

Edited to add, after listening to the first recording, you sound like a bass or a bass-baritone. So, maybe you really did mean the american C2. I wouldn't know a thing about carrying head voice down to C2. I can't even get below C3 (american) in full volume.

Good luck, and may the Force be with you, always.

You say C2, as in 2 octaves below middle C. I wonder, then, what you mean by head voice, that low.

Don't get me wrong, I think all notes are head voice because you cannot resonate any note in a wet, spongy bag that is deflating as you sing, but I often seem alone in that assessment.

definately not connecting, i mean when i transition from head -> chest or chest -> head there is allways vocal fry and a very clear shift. It's very frustrating and I stopped trusting brett manning on the issue because his lessons say things like doing lip rolls will prevent you from going into falsetto but i allways enter falsetto with lip rolls.

In the european singers' octave, a C2 is equal to a C5 in the american numbering system. In european, middle C is C1. Anything below that is - whatever note.

Edited to add, after listening to the first recording, you sound like a bass or a bass-baritone. So, maybe you really did mean the american C2. I wouldn't know a thing about carrying head voice down to C2. I can't even get below C3 (american) in full volume.

Good luck, and may the Force be with you, always.

I think i might be bass/baritone for sure, but yea i can get to c2 after practicing a bit, but it's very weak and is in no way useful. I was under the impression that the logical steps to 'mix' were 1.find head voice 2.bring it down 3.connect ...