Sustained high notes

Rate this topic

lordadon

So, I can almost do this intro, ive been working at it. YES IT IS FUNNY! hilarious actually, but damn, thats impressive. So i can get a good 15 seconds sustained, but them my head voice cracks, my chords close, and i cant hit the note anymore. Its damn high for me, any tips?

**skip 0:35 if you wish **

Haha that's pretty hilarious. I had never heard Jim Gillette do that in his songs but I've seen a clip on youtube of him doing it.

I would think that a big thing to work on would be diaphragm support exercises. The one that comes to mind is where you breath in and then hiss out the air from between your teeth as long as you can while supporting with the diaphragm. Over time you do it for longer and longer.

The other thing I can think of is getting rid of as much tension as you can. Make sure that you aren't straining to hit the note but that you're supporting it and also letting your head resonance do the work for you.

To me, 15 seconds is already a long time to hold that out. Maybe try practicing 10 second intervals of it at first so that you don't get to the point where you completely lock up. Also, definitely make sure you are properly warmed up before this or your head may explode.

another great exercise for increasing note longevity is one i got off the roger kain cd.

too, wee, yah.....sing too wee, then try to hold out the yah, a minimum of 20 seconds full voice.

transpose downward....as you go lower it becomes much harder.

another great exercise for increasing note longevity is one i got off the roger kain cd.

too, wee, yah.....sing too wee, then try to hold out the yah, a minimum of 20 seconds full voice.

transpose downward....as you go lower it becomes much harder.

Ah, sustaining low notes. I have experience with this though, as i used to try that tibetan style heart-sutra like chant mixed with overtone singing, not that tough, though I haven't tried it with those sounds. It's mainly the chords locking up that get me... same thing when i sing 'child in time' a few times by deep purple, one of the few songs i can do without a bridge, and after a good 3 times i can no longer hit that note without a few minutes break and vocal fry rehabilitation.

i mean it doesn't connect. i said that in my topic 'no bridge', i basically just have head and chest seperate, but head's rly weak and chest is rly strong. so i can do songs that have highs and lows but not in-betweens

respectfully, don't assume chest voice is really strong. it may be you need work on chest into middle. ever do any pharyngeal work?

you know, nay, may, nu, ng into a vowel...basically cry oriented exercises? these are great to help build strength at the bridge.