Joshua Ledett - It's A Man's Man's Man's World

Rate this topic

This guy is something else. Some of these singers are good and some very good. And most will probably learn and get even better. But what he has isn't something you can learn. What he has you are born with. Either it's inside you or it isn't.

This guy is something else. Some of these singers are good and some very good. And most will probably learn and get even better. But what he has isn't something you can learn. What he has you are born with. Either it's inside you or it isn't.

Amen, brother.

tommy, there's nothing stopping you. you have to believe you can first. maybe not exactly that, but you can take your voice a lot of different places.

check out ken tamplin's latest y.t. posts to see just how versatile one can be.

... maybe not exactly that, but you can take your voice a lot of different places.

The voice is one thing and I'm sure one can learn to do many things with that, you're right. But that isn't what I am referring to. It's the emotion and what he does with a song because of that. That isn't in his voice or singing technique. That is in his heart and his soul. That, you can't learn either you are or you aren't. Either you lived it or you didn't. You can fake it (or try) but then it's just that...fake. it kind of falls short.

i believe the right ingredients, the right teacher, the right coach, tapping into your inner self, having the courage to be vulnerable, can bring these emotions out. unless there's some psychological, emotional block...then, you're right, there would be difficulty.

I don't rule out anything. Also I don't claim to know it all either. So I guess it's possible. But I look at it like this.

You can take two singers, one from a poor background. Maybe lived in the street, homeless. Maybe served some time. Maybe had a loved one brutally killed. Drug addiction, booze etc. Maybe for him or her this wasn't anything but normal. This was life.

Let's now suppose the second singer came from a well to do family, had plenty of schooling, never witnessed a crime or even a fight. Never any lost loves and life was just happy happy.

Both are good singers and maybe both can sing happy songs just fine. Nice traditional standards. But when it comes to blues or emotional singing where you have to dig deep for the emotion and past experiences; that's where I think singer #2 falls short.

I think with a lifetime of study of what creates these emotions singer 2 can never "know" what it was like. Never feel the pain. No schooling can ever teach what one experienced as a way of life. Something that was all you knew. You would have to actually live it. it's like me singing about your childhood. I might be able to tell a story about it but I could never know what you actually felt. You lived it, I would only be singing about it. :)

Well, this is my opinion :) And you know what they say about those :D

Then again, I may be a little prejudice in this area. It's a touchy subject for me.

Tommy, I agree with most of what you say but how do you explain someone like Jessica Sanchez? She seems like she has had about a picture perfect life a 16 year old young lady could live and she is still able to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8xrlOUvyEI&feature=share

Good point and I've thought about that this whole season. I think she has so much natural "technical" ability that she is just fantastic. I think her technical ability is uncanny and beyond her years. That ability also masks some of the other areas where she may be lacking. Such as raw emotion. While she does have emotion, I think she lacks pain which seems to be where Josh just edges her out in the "overall." However, who is better is a tough one because when it comes down to pure singing, she is unbelievable especially considering her age.

I have seen other young singers display a good feel and emotion in their singing and wondered where it came from. But like I said at the start of this, that is something you are born with and not a technique. (IMO).

Then I guess it grows and matures as you experience life.

Unfortunately, I have a lot of ...well...another life. But it hasn't helped my singing. :lol:

I don't think that you need to have had a crap life to display soul like Joshua does. IMO doing that is all about 1. feeling something strong and 2. musical intelligence (somehow knowing which intervals/notes will bring the right feel).

People with "natural" technical abilities are just people who stumbled upon the right setups and went with it, in these cases from an early age. She has been singing for 10+ years which is enough to develop technique like that. I do however get the feel with her sometimes that she is imitating her heros too much and singing runs she knows sound well, but not neccesarily portraying her feelings the best. Good example of this was the blues song she did last, it sounded great and all but her phrasing was not top notch as it might have been if she would have had tons of experience with blues.

I don't think that you need to have had a crap life to display soul like Joshua does. IMO doing that is all about 1. feeling something strong and 2. musical intelligence (somehow knowing which intervals/notes will bring the right feel).

I can agree with that. I'm not saying you have had to have lived like crap to sing with feel. :)

I only used that scenario as an example. But it could have been anything. It could be the joy of growing up in Disney World :D

But I always felt that (for example), let's say 60's music made a comeback. Would it be the same being made by new artists? Young musicians who didn't "live" the 60's and knew what it was all about. What we, as a country (U.S.A) was experiencing at that time? hmmmm...not sure.

I think what I'm getting at is everyone has their own feel and we are all different. As individuals, maybe it isn't really possible to teach someone how to be "like someone else." Jessica may be really good and full of her own emotion, but it isn't Josh's'. And vice versa. What you put out in that area you are born with.

If you've felt pain your song will be different to the one who hasn't. If you've felt loneliness, this may come across in a different way. Joy, another, loss, something else.

i hear where you're coming from tommy, and i respect your viewpoint.

Thanks :) And I yours. And it's just that, my viewpoint. Not a correct or incorrect. And of course I'm not trying to convince anyone. I'm only presenting my opinion.

Like I said, I may be a little touchy in this area due to past experiences.

Good discussion though and thought provoking. Thanks

i gravitate to blues, and sad themed, you-done-me-wrong, life stinks, type songs...lol!!!

when i sing, i want to bleed when i sing, because to me that's the missing ingredient. at 58, i've got plenty to draw from, lol!!!!

i just don't seem to seek out "happy go lucky" songs to sing. songs like this, would be torture to sing...lol!!!!

Ohhhh I remember that song...yikes! That's when I had an AM only transistor radio. Remember when everyone had one? The latest and greatest.

Actually I like all kinds of music (I'm sure you do also) but my preference is blues based. I don't think it has anything to do with my life or what my life was about. I think it may just have to do with the fact that I really feel the music and the emotion. It's just the building of tension and then the resolution that gets into my soul.

There was a time I was into how fast a guitarist was, how high a singer sang a note, how evil sounding the band was or singer sounded. All that stuff. As a 12 year old back in '69 I adored Sabbath! :D But they started out as a Blues band right ;) (before their first Black Sabbath album).

I hear ya. I don't typically watch shows like that. I may have seen part of Sons once only because someone had it on. You mentioned "1%" in another post. Been there, done that, a different time another life. Not fun, nothing to be proud of, took a lot of work not to be an asshole anymore. I kind of have issues now :D

Singing Texas Flood brought up one of those issues (sort of medical) that almost prevented me from singing it. I had to keep starting over.

So wait a minute, Isn't this thread about Josh Ledet? :D

Well he is the best I've seen from that show. I think he might be going home next, him or Jessica. It's pretty pathetic and insulting to all th skilled singers IMO that Phillips is still in the competition.

The Funny thing is that if you read show reviews and anyone I have spoken too personally..even on forums, no one seems to like Phil Phillips.But someone seems to be voting for him. :D Perplexing!

The Funny thing is that if you read show reviews and anyone I have spoken too personally..even on forums, no one seems to like Phil Phillips.But someone seems to be voting for him. :D Perplexing!

That's because of the army of zombie teenage girls with serious thumb dexterity on mobile phones who always vote for the cutest guy. This army outnumbers and out-thumbs all other groups of people.

True that, homie.

The same phenomenon was used to explain why Kris (?) won over Adam Lambert, even to Kris' amazement. The theory was that the audience (the aforementioned zombie teenaged girls) voted for the guy they could most envision having a date with. Even though Adam is much more handsome and the better singer in any regard, Kris was the "guy next door." And it's funny but I hear more about Adam in the press than Kris.

But it's those same teenage girls that buy most of the music. Or get their boyfriends or parents to buy it for them.

C'est la Vie.