Beginner wanting to learn

Rate this topic

LawStudent

Hello everyone! New here. :D

I've decided I would like to learn to sing. I have played guitar for about 7 years now, so I think have a decent musical basis for learning. I am 23 years old so getting a late start, but better late than never! Truth be told, my singing doesn't sound good right now. It's okay though, because I'm pretty persistent when I set a goal.

I was hoping some people here might be able to point me in the right direction to get started. Unfortunately, as a grad student, I don't have the funds for vocal lessons right now. I understand that's probably the best way to begin, but it's not really feasible right right now.

The first thing I want to learn is proper technique, so I can have a solid foundation for practicing things like pitch. Are there any online resources or books that are good for learning this?

My summer internship has a very long commute (1 1/2 hours each way) so I think this would be a great time to practice. Intuitively, sitting in a car seems doesn't seem like it is a bad singing position (hopefully). Are there any good practice CDs or MP3s that I could practice with while I drive?

And finally, any other tips for learning to sing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

For control and learning pitch, I suggest doing what i did way back when. Buy a guitar tuner(cheapy $10 or $15), and a cheapy radio shack mic(another $15). Hum notes into it, practicing with it ti learn pitch and to learn control when holding a pitch....best thing to do for learning pitch and controlling it.