Lift up/Pull back

Rate this topic

D.Starr

So I kinda figured my support was fine and I was other thinking things.

Think I've come to realise it's the vocal weight and lifting up and pulling back that I need to work on.

Moving towards a heady placement but still keeping that boomy formant.

Is there any other exercises that I could work on other than the one Rob does in 4 Pillars that could help me lighten up the weight and still keep connected to efficiently twang in the upper registers past G4?

I've tried the example he gives and I disconnect a lot, I know this is expected but I feel I'm kind of at a dead end and like to attack stuff from multiple angles.

The reason I posted is because I'm back to shouting and trying this lift up pull back technique again but it's really failing. I try to keep together the intrinsic package and go through, but I find myself pushing, but if I pull back I just flop out and lose everything. It's a huge struggle.

It's frustrating me having to stop at E4/F4. I can't get that nice heady tone Rob has on the G4s and above.

I'd love to get back on Skype with him but the company I work for recently feel into admin and have been bought out but I'm on terrible hours, hardly enough money to live on never mind spend £50/£60 for an hours lesson. Believe me if I had the money I would. I enjoyed the last session.

What you are trying to get to happen automatically is loosening up the TA grip that is a little too overpowering as you ascend. The quickest path to getting that light connection is something like Neutral in CVT speak. It also sounds like the Frissell method is ingraining the same sensation.

Yeah I can feel the grip as I go up. It's kind of trying to hold on to that as well as let it go to make a smooth transition.

I have Frissell's book on my computer but I can't read scales so doing the scales is hard for me as well as not having examples to know I'm doing it right. But I get the idea of descending scales from a falsetto tone down into the lower scale but keeping the hooty sound rather than banging back into chest. Am I right?

practice doing long scales through your break on goos and gees(anything where you are purposely letting go) so you can feel it change. then once its smooth start adding weight or in other words just sing in your fullvoice don't purposely let go at this point, it should start to pop for you not over night but in practice over weeks. Hit me up no charge as i said i want to help you guys without all the crazy terms and stuff just straight singing.:)

daniel

www.danielformicavocalstudio.com

practice doing long scales through your break on goos and gees(anything where you are purposely letting go) so you can feel it change. then once its smooth start adding weight or in other words just sing in your fullvoice don't purposely let go at this point, it should start to pop for you not over night but in practice over weeks. Hit me up no charge as i said i want to help you guys without all the crazy terms and stuff just straight singing.:)

daniel

www.danielformicavocalstudio.com

i agree with dan....this is great advice from dan.....sing with your full voice!! you really don't want to let go of ta, just have to learn to thin it as you ascend. it takes practise and hard work.

mays are great too because they instill the desirable cry and hit the pharyngeal area, the link between chest and head. ng's are another.