Mike Reno - Great Singer! - Live - "The Kid is Hot Tonight"

Rate this topic

I liked Loverboy during their hey-day. There's times I think I sound like Mike Reno but my wife thinks I sound like Glenn Hughes. I'm not sure what all techniques he was using though I think vowel mod was one of them, for sure.

I think the reason that others have not commented is because Mike sings clean and it just ain't "rock" enough if you are singing clean. Got have that distortion, that rasp. Got sound like you drug chest up from the basement. That's the only sound that can be considered "rock."

Most people will talk about they actually want to sound like Brian Johnson or Bon Scott. ABsolutely none of them come here wanting to sound like Rik Emmett or Mike Reno.

I certainly know what it's like to sing any manner of rock and pop music in a relatively clean voice. It can be lonely, at least down here in the trenches. Mike Reno did okay with the uneducated public that bought all the albums and tickets.

I guess it depends on one's personal sound ideal.

But thanks for bringing back good memories.

I agree with Ron's comments (there's a turn up Ron!) , its too clean for my taste.

To my ear this era/style of rock is best left in the vaults. No grit or edge, not just the voice either, the backing is a bit light and synthy.

Sorry. It held my attention enough to listen all the way through though :)

Must disagree a little, as usual. I tend to be a bigger fan of cleaner vocals...Michael Sweet...James Labrie...Roy Khan...and in early Maiden days, Bruce tended to sing clean on the choruses.

I can't do grit or distortion in my voice, at least not for long...makes me cough and doesn't feel good.

I have always liked the cleaner singers better, but that's just me...

And, to clarify, I think Mike Reno was and is valid as a rock singer. My comments about him singing clean were to explain why, initially, there were not any comments in this thread. For some people here, he was not gritty enough to be "rock."

When I first came to this forum a few years ago, a number of people were working trying to sound like Brian Johnson. Who sings in a different style than, for example, Mike Reno. Even though this is the vocalist forum, there can, at times, be a decided bent toward raspy or distorted vocal sounds as a sound ideal.

Even I have been told that I am not doing enough with my voice because I don't have much, if any, rasp in my voice. And honestly, I don't care to spend any effort trying to get it. Which, of course, makes me lazy. I haven't wanted it bad enough, which is a personal defect, quite possibly. And may, indeed, hamper my viability as a "rock" singer.