Complete Beginner looking for critique and advice

• TMV World Legacy Member

i hate the sound of my voice but I want to be able to sing very badly. i have never had any coaching or lessons or anything, or even sang in front of anyone because i am way to embarrassed about how bad it sounds.i know it sounds awful but if you have any tips, advice, rec's, or critiques they are all welcome. also if you could rate it that would be appreciated.

thanks

http://youtu.be/hCIRY0z5ALw

the vid is a 1st run take through a couple songs off the top of my head

I don't know those songs but whatever they were your singing and vocal style fit, that's for sure! I actually enjoyed that. I'ts kind of been an odd couple of weeks as I've seen a few "beginner" singers coming here asking for opinions and each has had an interesting voice or style.

Now, this is only coming from me so what I say plus a dollar is probably worth a cup of coffee. I'm sure there could be critiques from those thinking a little too much about big singing voices or more difficult music styles. And if you were looking to sing classical music, opera, screaming metal or a host of other genre then you may need more instruction and they would be right. I find that for me even singing blues, which many view as simple, or even straight rock tunes, I am still working on vocal issues. But as far as my opinion goes, for what you just sang, if that is the type of music you're looking to sing then your voice fits right now and I'm diggin' it!!

That was very interesting.

Hey there amatuer!

I'm probably more of a beginner than you are, but I really enjoyed that. You have a very nice pop sound, nothing to be embarred about at all according to me. I think you will find improvement to be had over here at this forum, but you already have a nice tone and no major (according to me) pitch problems which are two major things to have going for you. Also, you got a nice attitude when singing the faster, abit cocky parts. It does not sound forced (as it does for me :P) which is also a big plus.

Not saying there is no work to be done, just saying I think you can only get better, and you are already fairly good :)

wow im really suprised at those 2 replies, thanks a lot guys. i was expecting replies like, "oh you suck, dont ever sing". my voice sounds so bad to me when i hear it. what kind of exercises should i do to get better? And if i played in front of someone you dont think they would laugh?

Everyone hates their voice I think. I can't stand hearing myself and usually think I hear more bad things than others. Read through the techniques section and ask questions there. You can pick up books that teach exercises and come with CD's. There is also a lot of online resources for exercises. But you need to make sure you are using proper technique first above just doing exercises. I can show you how to squat or deadlift in weight lifting in about 5 minutes but you would probably end up getting hurt in about 3! First you must learn form and technique.

95 percent of professional singers do not like the sound of their voice. And are amazed that the listening public has not heard the "faults" that they hear.

Singing is mental.

And some singers are mental :lol:

Which describes me to a T.

To amateur;

At first, you sounded a bit wobbly and not sure of where you were pitching the song. Then, your low part sounded confident and you settled on what you were doing and the tone was great. And the later higher part around 2:30 sounded better than the beginning.

Is this an original song? If so, pick a less complicated vocal melody line. It may seem boring to you but it will help settle for you what you are doing.

I liked the lyrics in the low part. Cool tone and attitude, it gave some emotional punch that makes a person listen.