noob vocals in need of critique

• TMV World Legacy Member

Any and all constructive critique, feedback, etc.... Would be helpfull. This is my first time doing vocals. You can hear the song "The Unknown" here- WWW.Facebook.com/secret.of.the.old.project. and go to music. Or you can hear it at WWW.MySpace.com/secretoftheold

Thanks

Mike

Do I need to build some sort of rep here to get a reply to this post? I made a first post using my reverbnnation link but thought maybe folks couldn't hear it do to some technical difficulties or some others would think I'm just trying to get plays. So I re posted listing the MySpace and Facebook. I am truly trying to get some vocal advice or thumbs up or down feedback if those with the trained ear could help. This song I wrote and am playing all instruments except the drums. Using Adobe Audition home studio..

Thanks for your time

Mike

Hey there!

Im sadly to inexperienced to be able to tell you where/what you need to work on, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I liked the song, and I liked the vocals too. It seems that you have found a "sound" which works out for you, however I can tell that I think you would be able to do this even better with vocal training. The instruments are really nice, specially the solos. The rhythm guitar didnt have my favorite sound, I would try to give it a bit more "meat" but that's just my opinion.

Also, you don't need any kind of rep what I know, simply patience :P You might be in a weird timezone which makes it take a while for people to actually wake up and see your post or something like that.

Cheers!

Thank-you. Mivke I think maybe the lack of "meat" is there is no bass track on this song so that's prob why your not hearing that full sound on the rhythm. I really appreciate your advice.

We are all kinda busy most if the time. I usually listen in bulk when I can lol. Be patient, we will get to you.

www.drop-head.com

According to my time zone (CDST Texas, North America,) your first post was 11:30 at night, my time. I was already in bed, asleep. Your second post was at 2:11 am, my time, way early in the morning, considered the middle of the night, here. I was still asleep.

Not to mention, I have stuff I have to do, like mow the lawn, feed the dog, go to the grocery store, work on my singing stuff.

So, take it easy, relax. And it might help you to know that I have posted stuff that no one responded to, ever, even to this day. And I have been in this forum since about this time in 2010.

C'est la Vie.

Such is life

Que sera, sera.

What will be, will be.

"it be's that way some times ..."

John Rody (RIP), dj at 92.5 FM KZPS (Dallas - Fort Worth)

My old computer balks at myspace and their "content rich" environment.

clicked on FB. it asked me to log in and then I was directed to my page, not yours.

If you could trouble yourself to use a file sharing service like box dot com to upload your files and then share the link here in a post, it would be easier for some of us, at least me, to hear what you are talking about.

You've got have pity on an old guy like me. When I was a kid, the internet was smoke signals from hilltop to hilltop and videos were hand shadows on the cave wall in front of the fire and most lyrics were easy to remember because they were all "ogg!"

Thanks for the advice. Try this reverbnation page if it doesn't work let me know and I'll try something else! Thanks again and sorry for the lack of patience.

www.reverbnation.com/secretoftheold

Mike

• Administrator

Look at the "critique your singing" forum and notice how many entries we are getting? We do our best to get to everyone we can.

I think your vocals sound gritty... from a pure arty perspective, I like it. I would say you are singing with mostly a vocal effect. I don't mean processesing, I mean organic effect which is distorted in nature and has a lot of character... these are good things.

What it needs is the ability to sing outside of the vocal effect of "gritty distorted man" and into some range, melodic movements, vibrato, vowels, overtones, etc... all things you get when you get serious about training.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Robert! Again I would like to apologize to everyone. I wasn't trying to come off as being impatient, but rather curious if I was posting properly etc... I do appreciate the feedback. I've been learning a lot from this site already, and am learning a whole new vocabulary that is foreign to me.