I lack a head voice

Rate this topic

D.Starr

So yeah, its pure falsetto up there. I have major breaks and you can hear the air leaking through like crazy.

Ive been doing some slow siren ooos and eees for a good few weeks but found nothing helps.

Do you think I need to do some cord closure work as well as some head voice exercises?

I really dont know any good head stuff.

Plus when I do Nays they are impossible. I always crack, strain etc doing them.

Ill post some clips tomorrow.

One good one for that is doing sirens on an "ng" sound. Start around Bb3 and oscillate up and down a few steps, and make it wider every oscillation. Just do it a couple minutes a day. If you crack, you went too far. Just go wide enough to not crack or break. As you are going to the higher part of the siren think "small" - but don't break into falsetto. Keep the support strong especially when going high - push down hard with the abs. Don't push your larynx or strain to go higher if it ain't happening. Push only with the abs. Be patient and do it every day. It will come.

just the mere writing like you have is reinforcing failure. keep a positive attitude because so much of it is in the mind.

do what geno says...when you exercise the voice go for relaxed, coordinated, and connected. don't worry too much how you sound.

it's okay to not make a note. go up to that place where you can't go any further day after day, week after week. i promise you you'll improve.

but you won't just improve for your given goal. they'll be other additional benefits that you'll acrue as well. but you must put in the time!

• Administrator

Why are you doing "Nays"? They are a light weight, almost waste of time... ?

Why are you not drilling the onsets and sirens we worked on and also found in your "Pillars 2.0" training system... that we used to have a major breakthrough in our 1 lesson? In 20 minutes you were singing bridged and sounded incredible in the head voice... now we are back to this again.

Your not practicing... and not staying focused on what you need to be doing.. had you taken two more lessons with me and kept with your "Pillars" drill, we would not be rehashing this again.. Im not trying pitch TVS, I'm just don't get how you get on this forum with the same complaints about your singing over and over again... and everyone puts time into helping you... including lessons at a discount (Me), you get the results... at least with me, it was a huge change in about 20 minutes.. you were all excited about it and I was too.. and now we are back to this again?

There is more going on here than your voice... that is for sure.

That's the tough love D.Starr.

Hi D.Starr,

What kind of sound are you wanting to achieve. A fuller tone in head voice or just a thin fold sound that is less airy. Start with the siren on a ng sound like the end of the word sung. Make sure this is completely nasal. Gently and slowly start from low up to as high is comfortable. There will be breaks in your siren to start with. That is normal. It just means that you haven't quite mastered the transition from head to chest smoothly. Try switching into head voice earlier than you are and put your hand at the back of your head. As you rise up the siren support your voice by pushing back onto your hand as if it was a wall. Imagine your voice is opening (retracting) as you get higher. It sounds like yours is constricting causing air and cracks. I've just posted a video on basic warm ups. Check it out. It has a bit on siren which I'm going to go into more detail with in a new video soon.

Check out this video on YouTube:

I hope this helps. There's loads of things you can do to help this but this is a great start.

http://www.singersadvice

Why are you doing "Nays"? They are a light weight, almost waste of time... ?

Why are you not drilling the onsets and sirens we worked on and also found in your "Pillars 2.0" training system... that we used to have a major breakthrough in our 1 lesson? In 20 minutes you were singing bridged and sounded incredible in the head voice... now we are back to this again.

Your not practicing... and not staying focused on what you need to be doing.. had you taken two more lessons with me and kept with your "Pillars" drill, we would not be rehashing this again.. Im not trying pitch TVS, I'm just don't get how you get on this forum with the same complaints about your singing over and over again... and everyone puts time into helping you... including lessons at a discount (Me), you get the results... at least with me, it was a huge change in about 20 minutes.. you were all excited about it and I was too.. and now we are back to this again?

There is more going on here than your voice... that is for sure.

That's the tough love D.Starr.

I keep doing the workouts everyday but I can't get the tone to lighten up and I keep belting/shouting.

I try and lift up and pull back but I break into falsetto. I am using using intrinsic anchoring.

I either break, flip into falsetto or end up shouting.

The company I work for recently entered admin and have only just come out. I'm on very little hours and have no means of having a lesson with you in the foreseeable future at all. Looking for a job in the mean time but nothing has come up at all.

I won't deny we had a breakthrough but I can't get the sound back. I seem to have gotten into a shouty state and not being able to lighten up and bring in a more heady tone like in tone like in your examples.

Hi D.Starr,

What kind of sound are you wanting to achieve. A fuller tone in head voice or just a thin fold sound that is less airy. Start with the siren on a ng sound like the end of the word sung. Make sure this is completely nasal. Gently and slowly start from low up to as high is comfortable. There will be breaks in your siren to start with. That is normal. It just means that you haven't quite mastered the transition from head to chest smoothly. Try switching into head voice earlier than you are and put your hand at the back of your head. As you rise up the siren support your voice by pushing back onto your hand as if it was a wall. Imagine your voice is opening (retracting) as you get higher. It sounds like yours is constricting causing air and cracks. I've just posted a video on basic warm ups. Check it out. It has a bit on siren which I'm going to go into more detail with in a new video soon.

Check out this video on YouTube:

I hope this helps. There's loads of things you can do to help this but this is a great start.

http://www.singersadvice

I'm looking for a fuller tone in head voice.

I'll try that exercise.

anyway you put it you have to build your voice from the ground up. I did not skip any steps. Like building a house. When you can reach that e4 perfect move on to the f when thats perfect move on to the f# and so on. This is the way they did it in the old school. No tricks no terms just feeling and soul and practice no shortcuts they will only bite you in the ass. I am willing to teach anyone this. Its very simple when you look at it this way its like weightlifting. Contact me and we could rap about it i'm a vocal nerd as well and I love to help. Goto my website and see who I've studied with. Way to many and when i just went back to the basics everything fell into place

Talk to ya soon

www.danielformicavocalstudio.com

WOW! That AH vowel mod was pretty awesome.

I'm looking for an R&B style, but I guess everything works for everything.

I dropped you an e-mail and added you on Skype, my names Deff Starr.

The time difference makes things a little complicated because I'm in the UK, but as I write this it's roughly 23:30 over here. I'm free most days, so I'll try and be on there all the time.

• Administrator

... I'm not just being mean, I truly care about your success because its obvious you want this very bad. Its just frustrating when you deliver exactly what you asked for and you have the tools and content in your hand to get what you want and we keep coming back to, posts like, "... I lack a head voice"? C'mon, apart from the fact that we have been over this a million times before and you have already proven to yourself and me that you can do this... there nobody on the planet that 'lacks a head voice'. I think you are beyond this... I think this is becoming a habit for you... i'm available for another sesh if you want to get back in line.

No no I'm totally fine with you raging at me like that. I can understand where your coming from.

It's simply because I did a cover of Boyfriend by Justin Bieber and he has a nice heady/hooty tone on the pre-chorus and for the love of me I couldn't get it. It was pure falsetto and sounded weak.

Here's the link, I hate it :/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZueimcXzCE

I don't like the cover at all really, it's not really me.

I just feel every time I do the exercises I push and strain and get too shouty. I try and calm it down and I fall out of place. I make sure I'm anchoring all the time. I'd love to do another session but I'm basically broke and don't expect to be getting anything more than £50 in the next 2 weeks from work. We're in a massive rock and a hard place. I'm literally on 4 hours a week, rather than my usual 15.

Why don't you have a head voice? Maybe the approach is to first ask this question?

For me personally, I found my vocal tract needed to be straighter, my soft pallet dropped, and my jaws loosened. These enabled the upper resonance tracts to do their work. The WHY was that my body parts was obstructing my highs, not that my vocal cords couldn't produce the highs' sounds.

Maybe a few whys before randomly cording?

Dude, I know where you're coming from. My head voice was also really light and airy until I started doing some serious workouts. I've made amazing progress since I started doing "epiglottic sphincter curls" that Rob taught me. Here's the technique: Pick a starting note, lets say G4 to start with, sweep up to the note in pure falsetto, then compress to a total "quack" sound. It's gotta sound like a duck, I mean really quacky. Then release back to falsetto and compress back to quack. Do this as many time as you can on one breath. Then move to the next chromatic note. I do this on every note from C4 To C5. if you're doing it correctly you will feel some muscle fatigue and a little burn in you larynx. This will work, it's really simple and it keeps you in a proper placement for singing those high note. Doing Nays just isn't going to cut it. You can't develop the compression that you need and your larynx is way too high.