Which nordic country best for music career?

Rate this topic

jonpall

I might be moving to Norway, Sweden or Denmark in a year or so. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between the music scenes in these countries? Maybe one of those countries has a really dead music scene for rock and pop and I would regret moving there.

stockholm for music as a commercial industry. Copenhagen for small, live gigs in bars. Generally, live music isnt fashionable in sweden, although gothemburg has a reasonable rock scene

Jonpall, I think you are the only here from Iceland.

Sonata Arctica is from Finland. And there are some death metal bands in Norway, though those guys are scary and I don't mean the music. But I can't really imagine you as a death metal guy. Your sense of humor is too well-honed to get into that, I think.

Whatever you do, good luck. And maybe you can create the scene, if there is not one.

Remember, as you swim across the North Sea, to keep the guitar above water. Priorities are important.

:)

I think Sweden could be the best choice if you want to work with music, there's a lot of opportunities there if you're willing to give it some effort. I'd say there's a lot more music educations there as well, if that interests you. But make sure you move to a big city, like Stockholm or Gothenburg. I currently live in Finland (and I'm from Sweden, as you know), and I'd say chances are much slimmer to get paid work in the music business here (one reason may be that it's just 5 million living here, compared to 9 million in Sweden).

Can't say so much about Denmark or Norway, but I have a feeling Denmark would be easier out of those two. Just a feeling though, not any real facts to support it.

Also - Sweden have the best english speakers out of the nordic countries (generally speaking, and from my own experience). You will get by very well with english there, wich is a plus and a comfort. It's a bit so-so with the english language in Finland, and finnish is very, very different from the other nordic languages.

Great band, but not in my genre, really. I'm sure there are great bands in my genre (rock/pop) in Stockholm, but I just have to do equally good if not better. And there can be room for a handful of bands at the top, not just one :)

I know Toronto and Montreal both have excellent music scenes. My gut tells me Vancouver would be good based on size and the proximity to Seattle. If you move to Vancouver, you could take some face to face lessons with Rob.

Yngwie and Ulrich are people who moved away from the nordic countries with their music careers, but I guess you have to give it to them that they grew up and started out here :)

Most big cities have some sort of festivals where you can play every once in a while, but I guess you're looking for a city with a constant live scene. Gothenburg seems to me like a nice city, but can't say so much about the live scene there since I haven't lived there. Lots of good swedish rock bands are from there though, so I guess you can find some people to play with.