How effecttive are these exercises in achieveing mixed/middle voice

Rate this topic

rurokenji

they are as effective as the user who commits to doing them and others nearly every day. sometimes exercises have benefits when used in conjuction with other exercises.

nothing is effective until you try it a few weeks and see how it works for you. i've done exercises that didn't appear to work at all. then, out of nowhere, the vocals benefits appear as if out of nowhere.

try!!

"Effective" depends on how exercises are utilized imo. Some vocal exercises, I have noticed, seem to get one used to where the sound is resonating or certain feelings, while some let you feel the muscles being used and still others allow you to feel and work on changing registers, bridging etc. I think the point is that they allow you to feel these things as well as hear them, and repeated practice lets you and your body figure out ways of getting there on cue and without thought. Once you burn something into your central nervous system by repetition it becomes automatic. Then you continue to practice so as to keep it fresh. But this comes not from just doing the exercise but using them.

However, I notice on the forum many people ask about exercises and I get the impression at times they think the exercises are like a magic pill. If they find the right exercise then the will automatically become better just by doing the exercise. Exercise doesn't work that way. If it did then a beginner could go to a boxing forum and ask if throwing left jabs followed by right crosses then a left uppercut is a good exercise to get better at boxing and putting together combinations. Well, yes I guess it could be but you first have to know what you are trying to accomplish and a little about technique etc. Just owning the best heavybag and throwing your fists at it, while it is "an exercise" won't accomplish anything.

It's the same for any exercise. I'm not saying this represents you; but, I do get curious about people asking about the next latest and greatest exercise. I wonder exactly how they are putting the exercise to use (if they are a beginner). How you use it is what matters. This, to me is the problem with forums. It is easy to get too much information while at the same time not getting enough.

Here is my opinion, there is a lot of advice about the need to practise before seeing results.

I strongly believe (and know from personal experience and that of others) that middle voice is a vocal SETUP which you FIND.

I've been trying to expand range and whatnot for around a year, trying the one note at a time etc, carefully practising everyday etc, which has developed tons of finess in my voice but not really range. Basically the CVT way is what worked for me, there are 4 basic setups for the voice, and no amount of work in falsetto/neutral/headvoice will ever give you the middle voice (curbing) when you're in the wrong mode. I managed (after trying many times) to access curbing, or middle voice, which basically instantly made me phonate full voice much higher than I ever could before. F.ex., trying to do falsetto louder and louder with hopes of trying to grow it into something else is hopeless because at some point there will be a distinct mode/setup switch, you can change volume all you want within the mode but it's still the same mode.

For example the puppy sound there won't develop your middle voice, it's purpose is to get you into middle voice. You either are in middle voice or you are not, simple as that. For me entering middle voice was damn near impossible and when I actually made it I strained like crazy, but it's been getting easier and easier and easier and better sounding. The reason vocalpower can do it in the video so easily is because he already knows how to do it.

Now this isn't really a magic pill, after you find the right setup you need to put in the work and time of practising, doing it without straining, making it sound good, building stamina etc. Finding it is the easy part. I know a few other members here who would agree, Geno comes to mind. After finding the setup almost like magic your range will grow very very quickly but it still takes tons and tons of time to develop it, make it good sounding, usable and reliable etc.

I've had the same feeling as Sun for a while. That singing in the tenor range can be done by finding a special "setup" in the throat. When you find it, you can just sing there freely. What I often do when I practise is first to find this setup and then just improvise with it for 5 minutes or so.

you guys are on the right track. Very simply you build the voice. When you hit say G4 comfortably without shouting or in some gear like falsetto/headvoice/ pharyngeal whatever You sing around that area and stay there until you tire out(like lifting 10lbs for an hour, it eventually gets heavy). When you can reach the Ab4 you do the same and so on and so forth there are no short cuts. And singing is the key, practicing scale after scale will help but singing melodies is the key.

great job

daniel

www.danielformicavocalstudio.com

Thanks guys for the advice!! Much appreicated!

What are you guys take on the bullfrog method by Jamie Vendera? I have been doing it for 2 weeks now and i can actually sing in my mixed voice (what i hope it is lol), however the sound is still quite high as in the sense thats it not compeltly stable which is to expected at this stage.

Here is my opinion, there is a lot of advice about the need to practise before seeing results.

I strongly believe (and know from personal experience and that of others) that middle voice is a vocal SETUP which you FIND.

I've been trying to expand range and whatnot for around a year, trying the one note at a time etc, carefully practising everyday etc, which has developed tons of finess in my voice but not really range. Basically the CVT way is what worked for me, there are 4 basic setups for the voice, and no amount of work in falsetto/neutral/headvoice will ever give you the middle voice (curbing) when you're in the wrong mode. I managed (after trying many times) to access curbing, or middle voice, which basically instantly made me phonate full voice much higher than I ever could before. F.ex., trying to do falsetto louder and louder with hopes of trying to grow it into something else is hopeless because at some point there will be a distinct mode/setup switch, you can change volume all you want within the mode but it's still the same mode.

For example the puppy sound there won't develop your middle voice, it's purpose is to get you into middle voice. You either are in middle voice or you are not, simple as that. For me entering middle voice was damn near impossible and when I actually made it I strained like crazy, but it's been getting easier and easier and easier and better sounding. The reason vocalpower can do it in the video so easily is because he already knows how to do it.

Now this isn't really a magic pill, after you find the right setup you need to put in the work and time of practising, doing it without straining, making it sound good, building stamina etc. Finding it is the easy part. I know a few other members here who would agree, Geno comes to mind. After finding the setup almost like magic your range will grow very very quickly but it still takes tons and tons of time to develop it, make it good sounding, usable and reliable etc.

eureka!!!!!! this is what i've been saying for months. full voice is on the other side of head voice. you need to instigate its development because of the natural antagonistic nature of the vocal muscles. cvt calls them modes, but i like to think of it as piercing into the full voice. i guess it's all how you say it sometimes. it's not very different from bodybuilding, i know some will disagree. you have to really lean in sometimes, and stretch things.

crutial point: this is the way to build a voice, not sing with the voice.

there are many things that need to be considered. The main issue is that doing exercises to HIT certain notes, is not enough, not even close. Having to be locked into a certain pattern isnt enough. having a few notes were you cant use much of your voice and lose tone and projection is not enough.

You have to be free and confident. And to be so, exercises on passagio, chest and head must be done with precision and control bellow, above and through all your tessitura.

A note that you can only hit on a certain scale, with a specific vowel, during a short time on sunday mornings is useless, is not development and will not become something different simply by repeating until you get a sore throat.

how about instead of "do a lot of cracking before you go on stage" do very little cracking before you go on stage. Reason i say this is muscle memory. From experience when i did alot of cracking before i would go on stage i had to fight not to crack on stage. But when i started practicing and warming up like i sing on stage it was much easier to keep it together and not fight cracking because my voice muscles were used to not cracking the memory to the muscles was the same as performing.

great post bob

daniel

www.danielformicavocalstudio.com