Head voice edge

Rate this topic

DoverOs

I've been feeling more comfortable with my head voice range and it seems like I'm getting better coordination. Letting go of my TA has helped me grasp the mode properly, but It still leaves the desire to get more edge/weight into it. I was wondering if there were any good exercises to help build more edge in the head voice.

You might want to ask Robert Lunte to help you with that. One of the things he specializes in is twang and edgy sounds. To get you started you might want to experiment with sirens and quacking like a duck. Then you might want to add a "dopy" feeling to your sound to get some low overtones as well. Difficult to help via written words without hearing how you currently stand.

maintaining ta involvement is exactly the missing link. letting go of it slackens the muscles needed to adduct well and strong and hold onto the adduction as the ct muscles kick in to do the thinning and stretching.

you have to learn to hold onto it in varying degrees. that's your performing voice.

it's a balancing act of two sets of muscle groups that are inherantly antagonistic to each other.

i have had success with (loud) crying exercises, (loud) full voice sirens and (loud) scales.

i wish you knew what i meant by "loud" though. really loud, supported "mays" scales have helped me so much to stay connected and strong way up.

on alternate days i do descending head voice slides as i spoke about many times before. hope this helps.

I think I started getting it. It's sorta like, if i was belting, my voice would crack above a4. so it's like i am belting above a4, but I'm changing my epiglottis and balancing it, to add a different kind of support. Or at least what feels like my epiglottis.

It seems like I was intentionally thinning out my voice too early before.

if you thin out too much or let go and fall into the top end too little you'll never grow the voice. you've got to (in time)

learn to enlist both chest and head voice "musculatures." notice i never use the word chest voice and head voice without the word "musculatures" because i don't (personally) believe in registers anymore. you have to strenghten the middle "break notes." this is the area where there's the greatest antagonism between the vocal muscles.

crying and pharyngeal exercises, octave sliding, cause you to lean into the voice (providing you support well and don't reach or push or strain) can help a lot with this.

some shy away from these kind of exercises because if not done correctly you can take chest voice musculature up too high. that's not what we're after. we're after teaching and training the voice to hold on as you ascend and thin out as you ascend. this is where vowels and vowel shading is so instrumental to achieving this "connectedness."

the vowel (and it's appropriate shade) is what allows the voice to release into the higher place without strain and constriction.

does this help?