Well, back with some more questions... (Head + Chest)

Rate this topic

Zion1744

Well, since my last post regarding head and chest voice i've been practicing, a lot.. And now that i've gotten more of a feel for my voice. I can guarantee that with working at it i have found my head voice. It's quite fragile but it's getting stronger and i've come to a block in the road.

The story- My friend - Singing for about the same time as me, slighty higher natural range maybe a note at the most. I started working on head voice and i told him about it and he just recently figured out how to combine the two. I understand now what it's supposed to be like! It blew my mind, i heard him sing things like the chorus to prayer of the refugee, which he couldn't sing before, or Nightmare - A7x. I heard his voice before he figured out the strength of it all and it's similar to mine. Also, he's 19, not sure if that's very relevant.

So why am i telling you about my friend? :P Well because since i've been working at it longer i was pushed back by how quickly he got it :( I feel like i'm never going to achieve it but i'm going to keep going at it.

The main reason i told you all of this: I know my head voice and i know my chest voice, how do i mix the two like he does? He can singer higher now and still sound like himself! :o I want to be able to do this. I talked to someone else about it and they said it's something your born with??

What do you think, should i keep at it or am i helpless? I don't know if anyone saw my previous videos but i'm also much less tense than before and if i figure out this "mix voice" stuff i'm sure i'll be less tense on higher notes. My friend also said it's freed up a ton of strain when singing his old highest notes because now they're just in some kind of head chest mix thingy. He just figured it out and i keep bugging him about when he realized "the connection" but he cannot recall.

So if i ever figure it out, i will make sure to make a point of when and how i got there. So i can help anyone else who might be having trouble with this! Thanks, i hope i get a response even though this is sooo much to read.(:

Hey zion.

Sounds like your going through what most singers go through!! By the sounds of it your referring to blending your chest and head voice together. As you know what the difference is and you have been practicing both, it seems like a good time to start.

The head voice and chest voice use different sets of muscles so it's about not trying to carry your chest voice too high and feel like your pushing or straining the notes out. Instead, as you move up the scale you need to find a way of slowly bringing in a bit of head voice musculature as you get higher (instead of flipping between the two voices) Start with slow vocal slides on 'mmm'. Imagine that the sound is starting from a hole in the back of your throat and traveling straight to the front of you face. try to feel the buzz on your lips and as you get higher the buzz may travel up further (this is technically known as placement). Put your finger on your larynx just to check its not going up and up as you get higher and higher. keep doing and make sure there is no 'break' or 'crack between the two voices. Lip rolls are also good for bridging

Then you can move onto indroducing vowels

Hope this helps

Gina :D

mr. bounce, exactly..... i think this bears repeating....the voice is a muscle and it needs to be developed over time.

you need to work out the voice nearly every single day and by doing so dilligently it will gain strength and coordination.

if you don't place a non-constricting stress on these muscles they aren't going to develop.

Thanks Gina, I'll try to keep that all in mind. :P whenever i sing higher i always have to flip into what i consider "full head voice." Where it's like an edgier falsetto i guess? And i've been trying to connect the two for so long but i must have been going about it wrong? Last time i did lip rolls i was told i was doing them wrong. Could you refer me to a video that can correctly demonstrate them so i can understand it a little more. I'm about to youtube it now and hope to find a helpful one.

Also, could the maturity of my voice be an issue when trying to sing without cracking? Like i said before i'm a 17-year-old male and i know for sure i haven't completely developed by 2 things.

1.) my voice is still cracking all the time in regular speech haha i feel like i'm 14 still

2.) I'm the least hairy person out of everyone i know. LOL

So with that being said could this be a problem for now? I know if it was i'd just need to wait a while longer.

If that's true how the heck do little kids sing like talented opera musicians! I heard this one kid the other day on an america's got talent episode and he blew me away!

Thanks again for all the help,

Ron(:

Oh and am i practicing proper material? Should i be shooting this high in my head voice or should i wait and develop it more before going for these goals

I think i sound kind of similar to each of these singers. Of course i have my own sound :P but what i mean by same is the texture of my voice. I highly doubt my mix voice will sound that much different than my regular voice. (I could though, my pure head voice is ridiculous, as i'm sure others are too?) haha

Thanks again for the help :P But my chest and head ranges do connect if that's what youre asking? My lowest head note goes beyond my highest chest note? And secondly it is in the lower instances of head voice. In my opinion, that's all i really need. I only need the lower to mid range to be able to sing this style of music (the posts i've previously shown.) I don't need to do any crazy skid row notes or something hahaha.

So far what i've accomplished learning wise with singing:

Difference between head voice and falsetto

I found out how to compress my voice to add vocal distortion to my head voice (It sounds like a really bad AC/DC lmao)

What i need: TO SOUND GOOD... -_-

It seems nearly impossible to make this ridiculous voice sound good or even powerful. The closer to the middle range of my head voice i get the stronger the notes are. For example, i can sing "Somewhere in the NIGGHTT" (forgot to say what song - Don't Stop Believing) part from journey way stronger than i can any other notes in head voice. why? I have no idea i need someone to answer that for me? Do all guys have similar sounding head voices? Because, like i said, i'm struggling with making mine sound appealing. Mainly when the notes are cut out, they don't sound as bad, and when i pronounce things. When i'm singing actual words it sound much more awful and like i'm talking from the back of my throat.

Are there like mouth positions that help with that? Again, my friend haha, he told me he opens his mouth up super wide to get the power to his notes. Any suggestions?

You were born with it. Just like the rest us males, if want to learn to sing all tenor range, soprano range and as high as Mariah cari you can if you want. It takes a lot of work and there are some tricks to learn with resonance, ta / ct coordination and support. You're friend probably stumbled on it and once he figured it out he took advantage of it. You just haven't found it yet. You can bridge your chest into head so that your head sounds like chest. If you are serious about learning this fast - to keep up and excel faster than your friend I'd invest in a Skype lesson with Robert or tamplin, or someone that knows how to teach this stuff safely. You could spend a ton of time floundering around or you can cut to the chase.

The best way to get a mix voice is to learn how to twang. Have a look into estill technique. At first you might think this is a bit of a strange sound but it really helps through the breaks in your voice between chest and head to make it seemless. I'm going to do a video on this soon. So I'll keep you posted. For now check out my most recent video which has an excercise to help cross the breaks.

Sarah

I've got one of those pesky questions. Your friend, Zion, the one who seems to bridge with not much, if any, effort. Is he thinking about it or just doing it?

The reason I ask is because sometimes, our mental images or even our thought processes can get in the way of an intuitive leap. Especially if we are micro-managing a process. Rather than spout a bunch of exercises that require you to delve into minutia even more, causin more micro-management, step back and look at how you are approaching the whole thing.

Singing is mental.

Just an interesting point. Roger Love says your progress will happen in 3 stages over and over. First a breakthrough, then a plateau where you dont feel like your getting any better. And then often a setback where you feel like youve lost it. But then comes the next big breakthrough! :D

This is unbelievably true ^ lmao i experience this all the time and i just made a breakthrough! and right now my friend is at a plateau he said :P So anyways..

I FIGURED IT OUT! xP

I've been doing lip rolls all day every day and i've been doing them correctly. Great results, i can go into my "mix voice" and sing this song's chorus

I have trouble singing higher parts i'm i'm straining a bit so i'm hoping this is just the start. I hope i've caught it in the "developing" phase? lol i'm not sure how to explain it but it's there i can singer higher than before and still sound like myself.

My next question: Now that i have it, can i expand it? can i take this as just the beginning and be able to bring it to the top of my range?! That would be ridiculous, and i'm very excited to improve. Today i blew out my voice i just couldn't stop myself :/ I've never been this excited since i originally figured out that singing wasn't in the "talking range" lmao

Anyone suggest a few warm up exercises so i don't blow out my voice!? I want to sing forever :o

Thanks again, ron.

Oh and p.s. It was definitely a mental thing, i got over myself and stopped trying to just "flip" into head voice and went for the notes like it was me regularly singing (overlooking i couldn't sing it at all before) and it just happened I hit a few of the notes and it blew my mind. I kept taking that and going with it and ended up getting through an entire chorus. Hopefully i can figure this out pretty decently before our next show! :D

It's been said that the "eh" vowel allows you to bring more chest into your head voice so definately practice that one. And ya you can expand your head voice as much as you can go xP. At the moment i'm shooting to be competant up to an octave above my normal range, so around g5-a5. And nice with prayer of the refugee, that's surprisingly one of his higher choruses.

But is there some kind of physical dependence? So, if i wanted to sing higher the blend of chest and head would have to change to be less even? Or can i keep them how i want them? ex: 70 chest 30 head or like 50 50, i've heard all of these referenced before.

On vowels? It doesn't seem hard to use different vowels right now?? It just sounds like i'm singing, maybe i'm not there yet :P

I just finished singing again today. And well, i can tell there is daily progress my only problem right now is doing it clean. It's hard to sing without any rasp especially when i'm singing in that register. Any tips?

For me the higher I go the less chest I can have. But the more you practice the more chest you can put into those higher notes. It just takes time and practice. Be patient with yourself but dilegent with your practice! Im learning this stuff too! :)

For me the higher I go the less chest I can have. But the more you practice the more chest you can put into those higher notes. I doubt Lucianno Pavarotti felt a lot of head resonance when he hit his powerful hi cs but then again maybe he did..It just takes time and practice. Be patient with yourself but diligent with your practice! Im learning this stuff too! :) The human body has an amazing way of teaching itself!! You know what you want to sound like. Just keep striving for that sound but if it ever strains or hurts your doing something wrong! :)

zion, don't evaluate your progress by the day. it can be an exercise in frustration because you will flounder from time to time....it's normal......expect it.

so what i'm saying is don't get your hopes up because there's more to this than you realize or are willing to realize.

i'm trying to spare you from disappointment when there are days where you will feel like you are starting from scratch.

okay?

I just finished singing again today. And well, i can tell there is daily progress my only problem right now is doing it clean. It's hard to sing without any rasp especially when i'm singing in that register. Any tips?

What I think you are experiencing is what CVT calls Unintentional Creaking. Creaking is a kind of rasp brought on by irregular fold vibration, and it is a cool effect especially up above C5. But we need to be able to sing clean up there and only turn it on when you need it. CVT warns against unintentional creaking as if you practice this you can kind of make it permanant. So you need to try to bring it under control.

From Time to time I get creaking up there, which I've been working for a year now to control and iron it out. I've got it pretty much under control, but if I get tired, or sang too much the day before, a little creaking comes back and I work at smoothing it out. Here are the ways that help me get rid of it: tons of support and focused reasonance. Whenever I get it, I try the same thing, slower, with more support and a focused reasonance, and it goes away. Sirens with a lot of support also help get rid of it.

Is it okay if i just push through this first phase and then as i start to develop the mix better i can remove the distortion? And so i can visualize this better, can someone explain to me what muscles control what? (in terms of what musculature controls head voice etc.)

Yes - it's normal to have creaking when developing your range, but you need to try to eliminate it so it doesn't become permanent. You're goal should be to get rid of this through support as you develop the mix.

Here's a brief explanation: the TA muscles which are attached direcly to the folds are the dominate muscles used for chest voice. As they flex, they contract and make the folds shorter and thicker. The CT muscles pull and stretch the folds by tilting the crycothyroid, thinning the folds out. The TA and CT are both active in chest and head, pulling against each other like a tug of war, like your triceps and biceps. In chest TA is dominant. In head CT is dominant. In Falsetto, the TA is totally relaxed and only the CT is active. The trick in "mix" voice is to let CT be dominant while keeping TA active. This is awkward to learn for most of us, while it comes really easy to others. But we can all learn this. It's hard to control these muscles directly.

TA = Chest control (horizontal pressure?, more bulky cords results in a stronger sounds)

CT = Head control (vertical pressure?, stretching or thinning results in higher notes with less force)

Obviously head and chest are just references to registers.

But besides that i think that will really help me in my developing of my notes. I feel like i can take higher notes and slowly add more power to the and not just try to start with power and make the notes higher, if that makes sense?

To me it sounds like i should start with my "lowest" high notes, sing it in complete head, then adjust the amount of chest (or TA action) I would prefer to engage?

And finally in that case, are there exercises that help me learn how to control these muscles directly. Now that i have more of a visual of it i think i can probably physically use them better for some reason haha. But i hear sirens and lip rolls are both great for developing mix. However, i really want to single these things out so is there some exercise to completely seperate each muscle?

Thanks a ton geno, you've really helped my understanding of the voice! :D

This is where it gets muddy. To help the muscles engage more efficiently with least amount of tension you need to find the proper reasonances. To work on the muscles without the reasonances can bring about a lot of tension that can be damaging. The reasonances develop super glottic air pressure that helps the folds vibrate. The TA and CT action are interdepentant on the reasonances.

On the 50/50 thing, it doesn't seem to be like that - one of them needs to be in control of pitch - I could be wrong on that. But if in head, you had 53% CT and 47% TA you'd get a head voice that sounded a lot like chest, and is what a lot of us are after. To be in head you have to start stretching the folds, and for the folds to start stretching CT has got to have a slight edge over TA.

If you want to work on CT only you'd sing falsetto. If TA only you'd sing Fry. But I'm not sure these in isolation does very much for you, unless you want to work on falsetto. Working on them separately doesn't help your "mix" voice. The tricky thing is to work on coordinating them together - particularly in Head.

The lip rolls are great because they restrict airflow and increase the air pressure above the folds (superglottic pressure) - that helps a lot.