Gigs imminent and just developed a tickly cough. Help!

Rate this topic

Songstrel

1- Humidify to the max - steam vaporiser at bedside, long showers, etc.

Mucinex round the clock if you have access to it, + drink extra fluids with it. Avoid decongestants & other cough medicines unless this turns into a deeper illness

2- take some antacids after meals & before bed just in case this is a reflux episode (tickly-cough is one common symptom). Also vitamin C every few hours and chicken soup, if you feel like this is the beginning of a real cold, vs mild reaction to a change of weather or something.

3- warm-up carefully, don't push to prove anything; mentally review your material and anything in the gig situations that makes you nervous.

4- if urge to cough is unbearable, try substituting a sharp exhale through tightly pursed lips, as if blowing out a large-size candle. This is a breathing technique that "distracts" the throat. Keep at it until the tickle goes away. Sometimes ice-cold drinks have the same effect (and its totally OK for singers to drink cold things).

5 - think positive, it will probably be OK!

cheers,

Joanna

Its a sign that something is wrong. Why is it happening in the first place?

Did it happen after you were singing or you got sick and your throat is still healing?

Because if it was after singing or some other demanding vocal epsiode, it means some damage is still healing and if you manage to interfere with the healing process by strassing the folds with singing... Is it necessary to say more?

Anyways, health problems = doctor, of course.

Thanks so much for all that jcazden :) I had some ginger tea that I like to drink on days when I'm performing so drank lots of that with some honey and lemon. I also took some in a flask and drank it during the gig. Lots of water etc goes without saying, of course. The steam helped a lot too. The performance wasn't fabulous but it was good enough. I got through it and that was the main thing. I just have the three this weekend to worry about now! Feeling much better now however. Still coughing a little but nowhere near as bad as I was last weekend! Thanks again. Very much appreciated :D

Hi Felipe :) I was just unwell. It was nothing to do with vocal stress or anything. Feeling a lot better now but still a little concerned as I have three gigs this weekend! It's just a case of taking extra care of my voice and finding the right balance between exercising it properly and making sure it's nursed through the coughing, which I try not to do if I can avoid it :)

I was just wondering, what do you guys out there do when you have a cough? I find it so hard not to cough if I have the urge to! As I said in my above post though, I try to avoid it when I can by taking sharp inhales etc, even when not performing.