How has this vocalist NOT lost his voice yet?

Rate this topic

fannon

Hello!

I have been very curious about this vocalist's technique for about quite some time. His vocals are extremely harsh and evil sounding, and yet he hasn't lost his voice yet, even though he has been an abrasive vocalist for over 20 years.

Here is a short sound file with some chronologically ordered samples from album and live performances. You should listen to it in its entirety since his vocals have changed sound during the years, the first sample is from 1995 and the last from 2011.

https://www.box.com/s/a305a74df0c79f266d34

It's just 1:36 long so it shouldn't be too difficult to handle for an untrained listener.

Now for my question, how the hell does he do that voice? It doesn't sound like the normal techniques where you use vocal fry or false vocal folds for this type of vocals. Some of the samples sound like they should destroy his voice completely, yet he can talk normally afterwards, and he even sings (though with a small range) in his solo projects.

Sounds like screamo. I know nothing about it, don't know how to do it. But, from my limited and untrained understanding, I believe such a technique does not involve the true vocal folds, at all. They are open and constriction is provided with the back of the tongue and possibly the uvula to create that rattle. And, because it does not involve the actual vocal folds, a lot of fast air is needed.

Absolutely anyone is welcome to prove me wrong and I totally expect it.

doesnt really sound dangerous to me. To me, it all sounds like its going on above the vocal chords in the head and with not much volume. I think shouting is the killer, not screaming

Interesting replies, thank you! The "a lot of fast air" seems consistent with how the vocalist seems to pause for air every few syllables on most of their CD:s, like: "For words...two minutes...three...years...for my fingertips...to grow...numb".

It seems indeed like it isn't dangerous since he has been doing it for 20 years, but the question really is how. Something seems to have happened to his voice though. Watching them perform live today the vocals seem to require more effort now than in older videos; the vocalist pushes with his entire body now while in earlier footage it looks much easier.

Here's two videos of the same song from 2003 and 2011 as an example

vocals around 0:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69UiQa3JO8A vocals start around 0:39

there's a lot of types of screams, but it could be that he's mixing the high scream you hear in screamo, with slight true cord distortion.

Proper diaphragm support/ trachea position/ TA+CT modification, helps move the wrong voice parts out of the way, but even then, rasp with either true or false cords require a rasping muscle motion. So just like you can over-reinforce your TA, you can over-reinforce true or false cords endurance, but it still means you are hurting them.

with slight true cord distortion.

you can over-reinforce true or false cords endurance, but it still means you are hurting them.

Can you explain slight true cord distortion? I am not familiar with that. I still may not want to do it but it would be nice to understand at, at least from a perspective of intellectual curiosity.

Same with false cord endurance. I don't know enough about anatomy but I do know that "false vocal fold" is actually a misnomer, at least according to the anatomy sources I have read. What I have read is that the FVF is a membrane sitting just above the true folds and it releases mucus to lubricate the true folds. As the larynx rises, usually in the act of swallowing, it will meet the bump of tissue known as the FVF, effectively obliterating the vestibule between the true folds and the false folds and thereby eradicating part of what is thought to be the first formant. These are then covered over by the epiglottis, which is a flap controlled by a sphincter to protect the folds and airways during the swallowing of food or drink.

It sounds as if, in trying to engage the FVF or narrow the opening where the epiglottis is located is like trying to sing while swallowing or almost swallowing.

And I could be totally wrong and it would not hurt my feelings in the slightest to be proven wrong. Seriously, my one character default is that I am sure that I don't know everything. I learn something new every day and my voice feels new to me, every day.

I'm not sure how different true cord distortion is, since it doesn't go into head tones that easily, but I think it's a matter of finding a middle point, just enough room to get more bite versus the weaker bite that you get with fry tones. gonna put a disclaimer here too xD.

Disclaimer: I don't hold any responsibility for you (the client) destroying your own voice in regards to this thread. Sing at your own risk.

Thanks for the disclaimer, Dover. But you still haven't answered my question.

What is "true cord distortion"? And then, how is it different from FVF distortion and how is that created? And then, what are the differences in the damage of each, to which you were referring?

I mean, really, I don't understand FVF distortion, even after all this time except to understand that some people may have a genetic anomaly of larger than normal mucus membranes or over-producing ones that produce a little too much mucus, creating a rattle in the vocal tract. Not something that could be trained, just an accident of birth. So, I am wondering, honestly, seriously, how does one "engage false fold distortion" to create a rattle or distortion?

And again, how is that different mechanically or even tonally from "true cord distortion," once that has been defined?

I think this is an interesting discussion and I could learn something new, whether I use it or not.

At times, Jonpall has talked about it and I thought I understood it, only to find that I didn't, either in practice or in Jonpall telling me I was wrong. No hurt feelings, there. If I don't understand something, that's all it is. Not understanding. No 'tude, no wrankled emotions.