Gear changes and the vocal register, 2 or 3 gear ?

Rate this topic

Ivenado

There are essentially 2 passaggios. A lower one in the D4 to F4 region and around the D5 area, though the upper one, for tenors is more of a tonal shift, as the resonating cavities required for the actual note are small and don't really have room for all the other overtones, making all the vowels sound similar at pitches of D5 and above.

At least, in my understanding.

i strongly believe now as soon as you look at the voice as having gears, points of change, registers, (i.m.o.) you set yourself up for issues that detract you from the seemless transitions that are inherant in the vocal instrument.

it's a good thing to know of, but to practise, or worse yet, to sing with that shifting mentality is counterproductive.

take a "nature has given you this capability" approach and learn to remove elements that prevent its effective funtionality.

i realize now one of the worst things to hear or read is when you are told to shift or lighten up as you change to head voice.

you see, it's not that it's not correct, but it can easily be misunderstood and if you don't "get it" you end up never growing the voice because you never placed stress or leaned into it when it actually needed you to.

there comes a point where you must place an additional load on the voice muscles for them to grow. if you don't, you won't grow.

this leaning or stress (swelling exercises) can be construed as pulling chest, but it's not. there are a lot of swelling exercises you can try. it doesn't have to only be messa di voce perfection, just learn to swell and lean into the voice.