Visualizion

Rate this topic

Rozzy73

A few weeks ago, I watched classical conductor Benjamin Zander give a talk on TEDTalks. I've found it very helpful in rethinking how I approach singing, particularly the role of visualization and importance of phrasing. One of the things Zander gives is "playing on one butt cheek" as visualization for being fluid and loose. I've trying to incorporate that approach in to my singing to improve my phrasing. I've also been experimenting with other visualization. In particular, I have a problem with oversinging and carrying vocal weight too high. I've been using the visualization of air flow being like a violin bow going across my chords. So fair, I'm finding it helpful in focusing my attention on smooth control over my airflow.

I am curious to what others think about visualization and if they have useful techniques they wouldn't mind sharing.

If you are interested in Zander's talk, here is a link:

Thank you very much. This is an amazing video and one of a kind. i just don't have the knowledge in singing to advise you in this field but i know a little bit about visualisation.

Emotions and techniques won't be enough to over pass your skill. You have to be connect to a memory that was some kind of magic and surprising to you.

You have to remember that moment when you could sing like there was no boundary, that your voice splash vibrations you didn't expected. So that's what you have to recall, that sensation, not the souvenir of the image but that inner feeling that you had at that precise moment. I will call it Total Recall.

I never heard of the one butt cheek thing. That's new, to me. I seen all kinds of interesting visuals. Imagine the note swirling around your sinuses up to the top of your head and back down at the back of the skull. And I am not kidding. Then there's the aiming for your upper teeth or the hard palate just behind them.

But who cares, whatever works. Some sing to the back of the hall. Me, I have a spot just behind and above the soft palate and all the notes live there. My image is to "follow the resonance."

My mantra is motion, if any, in the abs. Note in the head. Nothing in the throat, ever, amen. Lilli Lehmann quoted one of her favorite colleagues as saying "when I sing, I feel as if i have no throat at all."

Good enough for me.

The things that we percept and analyse everyday are far from the world we have inside. Now they're talking about humans organs memories beside the brain. The more you put together the 5/6 senses ( smell, hearing, touch...) into an activity, the more it will become easier. I would split the sense touch in 2, the one outside and the one inside.

I don't want to think about too much when I'm singing. I want to internalize technique so I don't have to think about it. The brain can process only so many tasks at once. Like catching that salt shaker that unexpectedly falls out of the cabinet when you open it. If you thought about it or actually tried to do it you probably would miss. The technique would get in the way...or I should say "thinking about it." Practice until the technique becomes second nature then forget the technique. Don't think just do. That is my goal. From there , if I can sing from the inside, hopefully my good technique will just happen and combine with the emotions inside.

The emotion I get from a song comes from memories each song conjures up. A particular time or place in my life when a song was popular or a song that was playing around the time something was going on in my life etc' good or bad. These are my visualizations. That and how I would like to approach a song live. I visualize that, me singing the song, the crowd, the emotion, the music, the meaning, the memory or anything current going on in my life. I sometimes get goosebumps or chills from my own visualizations. To be honest, I have also cried just from playing a song, and envisioning me singing it live. I don't know why but it happens alot while singing the Derek and The Dominoes version of Hendrix's "Little Wing."

So, in essence, I am trying to get the techniques needed to work on automatic; like running or catching a ball. Just letting it happen and then visualizing things/memories that cause emotions that will color and shape the notes.

There are many paths, the one that works for you is the right one, even when it's wrong ;)

Visualization. I find it to be imperative. Just as a conductor paints in the air, or dances, if you please, a picture of what he/she wants to hear, a singer can use an external visualization by drawing a picture of the sound in the air. Would Mariah Carey have had a career if she didn't have a right hand to guide her visualization of the sound? You have to have a clear picture in your mind of what you want to hear. If you can visualize it, you can sing it.