Tongue Tension

Rate this topic

shanchu2

Hey Guys

So, I got this problem that I'm creating space the wrong way by pushing down with my digastric muscle or tongue, whichever while singing. What are some good ways or exercises to disengage the tongue or digastric muscle?

Alan Green's book has a number of these exercises, including one involving sticking one's finger down the throat.

My opinion is that the tongue's freedom-as-it relates-singing motions are, for most people, 80% habitual, emotional-suppressed, and bad-posture-maintained. The other 20% is volitional in control. So, it might be easier to get rid of the 80% first, and the way is posture-focused, a challenging process.

I would caution against anyone using a physical apparatus or one's finger to manipulate any part of the vocal organ, which includes the tongue. Or have we so quickly forgotten the trials and tribulations of KillerKu? He had a "few" posts on the subject.

The underlying tension is not solved by mechanical means, in my opinion. But by getting to the cause of the tension or stress, usually related to speech, as people often sing like they speak. And that can be a result of cultural speech patterns, emotional stress and how it relates to speech and sound production, etc.

I.E., singing is mental.