Kamelot- When the Lights Are Down

Rate this topic

Here's a cover of said song. A few things to note. First off, I should have listened to the track a few more times to get all the vocal lines memorized, but I'm going out within the hour and wanted to get this up first. I have had Pillars since late Feb or early March, but didn't actively start using it til Mid-end March, and I am up to doing the Bridging and Connecting 2 exercises when I practice. As I'm sure is for most trainees, the hardest notes are the low head notes and covering the notes also. I personally find it hard to always be keeping my mouth in the smile position and the tongue against the teeth unless it's a held note also.

I also have some kind of coughing thing going on for the past two weeks where it's a lot of mild coughs and occasional phlegm, and this led me to slip into falsetto in a few of the high notes. I go out of key a few times and sing the wrong notes, but that was more of the unfamiliarity a few times. And I didn't sing the chorus lines where there's the backing vocals to prepare for the next notes and because it seems like the lead singer wouldn't sing those in a live situation. Oh and a few times during non-singing vocal parts you'll hear me either correcting myself or practicing a little bit.

Also forgive the recording quality. I couldn't find backing tracks so I just turned down a studio version on youtube and recorded with my webcam and built in laptop mic.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Sounded like Geoff Tate covering Kamelot. You have a nice countertenor quality in your head voice, like Geoff.

But your description reminded me of the criticisms I received for my cover of "Full Moon." I did that one unprepared, analagous to getting up in a bar full of semi-drunk electricians and doing it "karaoke."

Sometimes, it's fun to one-off, whether anyone else likes it or not. And still have it mistook. I wanted to mess with the mixing capabilities of audacity. So, I recorded a snippet of "Taking My Time" by Boston. Not because I plan to cover the song but just as a testing track for mixing tricks. And a friend critiqued how I was doing the song, anyway. No harm, no foul, just that not everyone will always get the point you are trying to make or what you are trying to do.

And you can't win no matter what. You could have posted without apologies and excuses. And then someone would notice the things you said. And then you could explain. And then be criticized for not preparing enough.

But, anyway, your singing sounds good and it sounds like you are getting benefit from 4 Pillars.

Sounded like Geoff Tate covering Kamelot. You have a nice countertenor quality in your head voice, like Geoff.

But your description reminded me of the criticisms I received for my cover of "Full Moon." I did that one unprepared, analagous to getting up in a bar full of semi-drunk electricians and doing it "karaoke."

Sometimes, it's fun to one-off, whether anyone else likes it or not. And still have it mistook. I wanted to mess with the mixing capabilities of audacity. So, I recorded a snippet of "Taking My Time" by Boston. Not because I plan to cover the song but just as a testing track for mixing tricks. And a friend critiqued how I was doing the song, anyway. No harm, no foul, just that not everyone will always get the point you are trying to make or what you are trying to do.

And you can't win no matter what. You could have posted without apologies and excuses. And then someone would notice the things you said. And then you could explain. And then be criticized for not preparing enough.

But, anyway, your singing sounds good and it sounds like you are getting benefit from 4 Pillars.

Thanks for the comments I appreciate them!:D

And I definitely understand what you mean by doing this karaoke style, and this definitely was in that style. I think mainly I just wanted to put something out there and get a basic analysis of my singing; in case any one had any comments such as "you're pulling up your chest voice etc". And I had tried to record this multiple times, and a few times I noticed that I had to scrap a few because the backing track was too loud etc, so I was getting a little annoyed and frustrated. And I'm also a 21 year old college student, and hadn't gone out all week so I wanted to socialize a bit and not leave too late in the evening. But I think I'll definitely pick a song to work on all week, and to do a better take. I'm thinking a Queensryche song, that would seem to be a strong point haha.

Also thanks for the reply about voice type in Keith's thread! I'd heard of all the italian/classical voicetypes before, but I didn't know anything except that I was definitely in the general range of "baritone." But I'm curious, would low notes mean anything to voice classification? Because looking at lyric baritone on Wikipedia, the lowest note in the range is A2, and I can get down to around a D or C#2 without warming up, and a few notes lower if I am warmed up. Then again I can match the tenor/countertenor listings on the high range so maybe that's not a good judgement lol

The good : good resonance, good tone, good articulation.

The questionable : the highest notes you sing like you are unsure of them, and the vibrato is shaky on them as well.

I would love to hear this with a real mic and recording software, it is hard to get a clear picture of what you are doing with this recording .

You seem to hit the low notes and high notes with power, but the middle notes are soft and airy in comparison.

And yes , you do have a Geoff Tate ambiance going on!

Thanks for the reply Keith! And yeah I'm saving up some money to get some software and mic; I sure could use it. I think the middle notes being weak are because there in my passagio/ I can belt or use low head voice notes, which I believe is stated by Robert as being the hardest notes to sing; I sure believe him! And also I definitely should have listened to the song a few more times; I couldn't always remember which chorus he would sing the notes higher in compared to the others or lower, and I am quite shaky as a result.