Dream Theater and Savatage Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

Well, seems the "normal" state for me to be in is SICK! After todays vocal workout, I whipped these two songs off.

The first is "Surrounded" by Dream Theater - to which I have never tried to song before.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11686513&q=hi&newref=1

the second is "All That I Bleed" by Savatage - this is my second attempt at getting this song down. Throughout both, I can be heard caughing and gagging - I am at the moment too lazy and tired to do any editing. I added a touch of verb and the wrong kind of delay to both. Ahh well.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11686514&q=hi&newref=1

Someone tell me all the stuff I'm doing wrong please - no sense in me pointing it out everytime :)

www.drop-head.com

I love your vibrato. Reminds me of Michael Kiske.

Most of it is pleasant to listen to, but I think I'm hearing breath and notes not hit right on sometimes :o that's maybe what's makes you cough. I've been told that unless you're singing very silent, breath is NOT okay for the voice.

I was thinking today how funny it is that when I sing in head voice, it sounds soooo different to me while singing it than it does when I listen to it back after recording - it's hard to gauge and calibrate things when I think my voice sounds one way, and it sounds completely different than I think it does. Anyone else with this issue?

www.drop-head.com

"Surrounded" - nice and strong and clear on the high notes. But I have to admit, you have gorgeous tones in the lower end, as well. You sang this light, which I think it needed. Great emotion. I'm a fan of Keith. I don't know if you will get to do stuff like this with Drop Head but it would be cool. And get the band lots of chicks, as well.

"All that I bleed" - you had some of the expansive tone you had on "Drop Dead." Except that now you can sing higher. This sounds more like you. "Beth" by KISS ain't got nothing on this.

I'm sorry, I know you were expecting all kinds of grief, especially for not editing out coughs. I don't care. It sounded great.You can always edit out the coughs later if you want to put it on an album (after paying blanket copyright to SESAC, of course.)

I was thinking today how funny it is that when I sing in head voice, it sounds soooo different to me while singing it than it does when I listen to it back after recording - it's hard to gauge and calibrate things when I think my voice sounds one way, and it sounds completely different than I think it does. Anyone else with this issue?

Only you. And every other singer in the world. We don't hear ourselves as others hear us.

Good stuff Kieth. I liked "All That I Bleed" better but they were both good songs.

I really think you have developed your own distinctive voice. IMO it is truly recognizable at this point. I know you are intent on mastering the high notes and having them well connected but man, your lower tones (as well as mid range) are really nice. :)

Good grief! Have you guys never tried HearFones? Of course you can't hear yourself right -- your ears are stuck behind your mouth! <www.hearfones.com>

People all over the world, most of who suffer from the same Ear-Behind-My-Mouth disease have been using them since -- let's see -- 1998? -- to cure this ailment.

(In the interest of disclosure, I'm one of the inventors.)

Good grief! Have you guys never tried HearFones? Of course you can't hear yourself right -- your ears are stuck behind your mouth! <www.hearfones.com>

People all over the world, most of who suffer from the same Ear-Behind-My-Mouth disease have been using them since -- let's see -- 1998? -- to cure this ailment.

LOL

www.drop-head.com

My opinion, but I find this post to be in poor taste, poorly timed, in the wrong thread, and amounting to merely a plug for one's product.

I may be wrong.