TA vs. CT and finding balance...Amazing C7

Rate this topic

izzle1989

That was amazing. I don't think I've ever made it to C7 in my whole life. I can make it to C6 and it's very loud and I can articulate through just about all of the 5th octave.

And, then, it might because I'm an old guy. They say you lose just a little as you age. And my voice never cracked. When I was your brother's age, people on the phone with me thought I was a woman.

But trust me, I would not look good in a dress. In fact, I tell people that have never seen me that I look like a Hell's Angel that cleaned up for a court date and they are usually not surprised to find that I was telling the truth.

:D

That's why my avatar is a pic of my dog. He is prettier than I am, which may not be saying a lot.

Wow ron great post. The funny thing about him being able to phonate that pitch so clearly is that he doesn't even like to sing or knows how to sing. That goes to show that the human voice is a very amazing instrument that is capable of doing whatever we want it to

I am 22 years old now, but when I was his age my voice was already the same pitch as it is now haha so I have never been able to do that nor have I tried to do that.

I didn't learn about any voice exercises until I was 18.

wow amazing

Exactly now our goal is to figure out how we can train our vocal folds to be able to stretch and thin out to that extent. I have heard many people sing whistle notes, but have heard very few connect those whistle notes to the rest of their range.

Balance is the key to having a seamless range an this goes to show that limitations are only for failures.

We are capable of much more than people think.

Wow ron great post. The funny thing about him being able to phonate that pitch so clearly is that he doesn't even like to sing or knows how to sing.

Reminds me of the bumblebee. It is aerodynamically unsound and should not be able to fly. But it never studied the laws of aerodynamics. And flies, anyway.

Your brother has not had instruction singing, including what he "should" sound like. He just does what his voice can do. So does Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden.) Bruce taught himself how to sing from a few books. He said, and I quote, "So, that's how they do that. What can my voice do?"

We all have limits and I know it hurts people's feelings when I say that. But there it is.

That being said, your brother is not so much singing as he is making a sound. And it's a slide, at that, rather than just pitching it at C7 from the start. Singing is something in motion. Lyrics, articulation, rhythm, coordination of the resonance and breath. That's where some real work comes in.

Reminds me of the bumblebee. It is aerodynamically unsound and should not be able to fly. But it never studied the laws of aerodynamics. And flies, anyway.

Your brother has not had instruction singing, including what he "should" sound like. He just does what his voice can do. So does Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden.) Bruce taught himself how to sing from a few books. He said, and I quote, "So, that's how they do that. What can my voice do?"

We all have limits and I know it hurts people's feelings when I say that. But there it is.

That being said, your brother is not so much singing as he is making a sound. And it's a slide, at that, rather than just pitching it at C7 from the start. Singing is something in motion. Lyrics, articulation, rhythm, coordination of the resonance and breath. That's where some real work comes in.

I completely agree with you. This was just stated because I was making a point that our voices are able to o many great things. We just need to learn to let the voice do its thing.

Well children have lighter voices... Its kinda hard to see the point, there is one pratical application that would prevent the voice change hehehe. But definively not a modern concept and not really something I would like for myself.

I fail to see the point of using such high notes too. kinda of circus approach.

Yeah, but Izzle's brother is not exactly a child. He is an adolescent who is going through the change of voice many males encounter.

Exactly! Besides I have heard very few people do that with their voice(Men, Women, or children) I wasn't saying he was a trained singer or that he will be able to maintain that through puberty. What I am saying is this is a great example of how high the voice can go when the TA is completely relaxed and the CT has enough strength.

Obviously this is not ideal, but a lot of times when we ascend the scale we get stuck in the 5th octave because of an overactive TA.

I think you are right, Izzle. And part of the reason is the natural reaction to cultures that says we must speak low and chesty to sound manly. And the other part is the sound ideal that is found in rock, metal, and yes, opera. The sound must be "chesty." Falsetto or at least almost entirely CT is to be admonished and discouraged.

Even Videohere is admonishing just use of CT coordination. He says you will lose all your range and the good qualities of singing.

In fact, he once said that you can only sing rock by carrying chest up, that head voice won't "cut it" through the noise of the other instruments. So, if he is right and no one will let you sing rock using head voice only or in majority, that is going to place another limit on your stretching as an artist, and another limit on your throat.

It depends on your perspective, as well.

Some fans prefer head voice. But many more seem to respond to what they think is "chest." I wish those register terms would just go away. I agree with Lilli Lehmann. A big step to getting to the one voice vocal instrument is to not rely on register talk. Instead, talk about note quality. But what does she know? She was the premiere colorutura soprano of her time, then went on to teach and write books, being one of the few that not only had the talent to sing, but to write. Skills and abilities we can easily discount these days.

Dante, you did not read my sentence correctly. Perhaps, you just felt the need to disagree, either with me or in general (psychology is always a tricky minefield.)

What I wrote was;

"Even Videohere is admonishing just use of CT coordination".

Perhaps I should have written it as "using only the coordination of CT." And he has recently made statements that, paraphrased, said, you cannot use just CT in your coordination. And that you will suffer a loss of your total range and some of the qualities we define as good singing.

Maybe it's just my day to be "disagreed with." And granted, I am not the singing expert that you are. I don't have a system to sell. I'm just a biker-looking dude from north Texas. We're a dime a dozen, down here. :lol:

Peace, love, and understanding.

• Administrator

Wow ron great post. The funny thing about him being able to phonate that pitch so clearly is that he doesn't even like to sing or knows how to sing. That goes to show that the human voice is a very amazing instrument that is capable of doing whatever we want it to

I am 22 years old now, but when I was his age my voice was already the same pitch as it is now haha so I have never been able to do that nor have I tried to do that.

I didn't learn about any voice exercises until I was 18.

... this phonation is impressive for sure,,, but wait a minute Izzie... this is not singing. This is an exotic phonation. So whether or not he likes singing or is even active in singing, is irrelevant.