Just started singing recently. The Decemberists cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

Did a fast cover to do a before and after of my singing progress.

Let me know what I could do to improve and maybe what exercises I could benefit from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S30V5kvTmJY

Be as harsh as you wish, I really just want to improve. As you can see, I honestly can use some help/ideas.

Beginner singer.
Check out my band, Dampé, on [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Damp%C3%A9/338886656180563]Facebook[/url]!

I sugest that you lower the volume of the guitar, it is good to record yourself, so you can hear the mistakes that you make and work on it, you said that you've just began singing, so the advices that I can give you :

-keep singing every day

-warm up for about 15minutes before singing(do the lip roll exercice or the tongue trill on scales)

-don't fear the high notes, its not the end of the world if you crack, just release youre voice, but don't push ^^, you'll have to find how to sing ralaaaxed, with training you'll have it(I'm training to lol)

-try to read some books about it, or find some videos on youtube that will help you find you mixed voice

you have a beautifull voice :)

keep it up ;)

About YouTube "how to sing" videos: I've found that most all of them are just ways for companies to pitch their singing program to you. They give you some information, but not what you really need. Get a coach or pay for a program, you will save lots of time and frustration. From what I could hear of it, you have a good voice and good ear for pitch, but suffer from what all begginers suffer from- bridging into head voice. Roberts Pillars program is all about bridging and connecting . So, I suggest you look into that.

www.drop-head.com

I sugest that you lower the volume of the guitar, it is good to record yourself, so you can hear the mistakes that you make and work on it, you said that you've just began singing, so the advices that I can give you :

-keep singing every day

-warm up for about 15minutes before singing(do the lip roll exercice or the tongue trill on scales)

-don't fear the high notes, its not the end of the world if you crack, just release youre voice, but don't push ^^, you'll have to find how to sing ralaaaxed, with training you'll have it(I'm training to lol)

-try to read some books about it, or find some videos on youtube that will help you find you mixed voice

you have a beautifull voice :)

keep it up ;)

Yeah, I play really loud, I hear that often.

and thanks! I will never give up.

Get a coach or pay for a program, you will save lots of time and frustration. From what I could hear of it, you have a good voice and good ear for pitch, but suffer from what all begginers suffer from- bridging into head voice. Roberts Pillars program is all about bridging and connecting . So, I suggest you look into that.

In regards of choosing a program, I decided to go out and buy Brett Manning's Singing Success, I heard it was a wonderful program and i just started using it last night.

Thanks a lot guys, I'll be sure to take all of that in account!

If anyone else can hear over the guitar and have other helpful tips, id really appreciate it.

Beginner singer.
Check out my band, Dampé, on [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Damp%C3%A9/338886656180563]Facebook[/url]!

Actually, I think your singing volume was fine. Tone and pitch was good. But, yes, the guitar was really loud. Do you, like me, have an acoustic with built-in pick ups so that you could plug it ito an amp? And did you have it plugged into an amp?

That might be the big problem, right there.

Do the song "unplugged."

Actually, I think your singing volume was fine. Tone and pitch was good. But, yes, the guitar was really loud. Do you, like me, have an acoustic with built-in pick ups so that you could plug it ito an amp? And did you have it plugged into an amp?

That might be the big problem, right there.

Do the song "unplugged."

It does indeed have a built in pickup, but i was not plugged in.

I believe it has a lot do with the fact that its a really low quality video on top of my loud strumming habit.

Is there anything you could recommend I work on besides my heavy strumming?

Beginner singer.

I listened to this song the other day when you posted it but I think I was at work and forgot to respond :) I have to agree about the loud guitar. But IMO it's all about style....your style, not other peoples style. Stevie Ray Vaughan used to murder his guitar strumming hard and squeezing the neck. Ever see Bruce Springsteen play? Yowser!!! Now, I don't know exactly what genre of music you like to play so maybe you do need to tone it down. But that is up to you. However, I would say that maybe the video isn't the fault of your strumming as much as it is a fault of poor recording. I mean, I too used to just sing at a hand held camera and post it to youtube. Doing it that way leaves no sound control/mixing capability. So you're missing balance.

Ok...screw all that :D Singing! I thought the vocals were fine. At this point you aren't at a place where someone would say "hey, you've gotta hear this guy sing.. friggin' great!!!" But at the same time no one would be throwing tomatoes at you either. You can sing "nicely." You just need to learn what to do with the tools you have. Right now you can draw a nice picture using a pencil...or doodle some great little sketches. You need to learn how to paint!!! Technique. ;)

Practice and learn....then practice some more. And more...

You just need to learn what to do with the tools you have. Right now you can draw a nice picture using a pencil...or doodle some great little sketches. You need to learn how to paint!!! Technique. ;)

Practice and learn....then practice some more. And more...

I agree with that, for sure.

I think, like Keith said, that I really need to focus on my bridging to head voice, I don't even know if I'm doing it correctly. haha.

Beginner singer.

About YouTube "how to sing" videos: I've found that most all of them are just ways for companies to pitch their singing program to you. They give you some information, but not what you really need...

Hum... I thinkyou´re right, but also, i think you´ll agree with me, that if you know what you´re doing, you can take a lot of juice from that orange, you know? If you have awareness of you, and you´re throut, it can make you remember, for example something you´ve done before, and had forgot...

I think you have a cool voice, and know how to do things, and will know how to do more things... you´re also beginning with a cool gentile touch at the beginning... and think to, you´re in time to take another step forward in the confidence in your singing... and at the end, there was some parts where it i thought you could go for more volume on some higher note, and go for it, trying not to be so controled... hum pearapps its good to try to singthe same thing in a more controled way, and in a more intuitive way, and try to get good things out of both...

Kumps!!!

PS: Oh, in case you see me with bad eyes, and think "look, a guy that thinks he knows stuff..." for being new here and start talking like this, don't, just trying to help, and will want help too (opinions) when i post something for you to ear and give me feedback... :)

Hoping to live from this ^^