Not sure if I'm reaching head voice correctly.

Rate this topic

Joshsparxx

I have this problem, where I am unsure if I am hitting my head voice are sending into falsetto, I really cant hear a breathy tone when I go high, and I can carry a high note, and I've always figured I was in falsetto, but as I'm doing the 12 cd program, I cant really tell if what I'm doing is correct. Is there any indicators for knowing if I'm correctly accessing my 3 vocal resonators? I know chest voice is speaking and the NNg is the other, but how can I be SURE I'm in my head voice?

Any help would be lovely, including tips on bridging my registers.

Im no expert at this - but I do know that (especially after a period of time not doing it) if I sing in head voice I get a lightheaded feeling in my head. Its not a headache but it is definitely noticeable.

are you doing any daily vocal exercise routine?

Yes, I do lip roll repetitions for about a half hour, sometimes 15 mins.

and I do humming exercises, but I just keep getting this feeling I may be doing it incorrectly.

Maybe im not, but its hard to tell with out a vocal coach, at this point my finances make a coach not an option. :/

welcome to the lonely road of the d.i.y., not the best way to go, but if you have no choice it's critical that you understand how the voice actually works first.

if your goal is a high level of proficiency you must begin with the basics.

start doing some research, read a book.

welcome to the lonely road of the d.i.y., not the best way to go, but if you have no choice it's critical that you understand how the voice actually works first.

if your goal is a high level of proficiency you must begin with the basics.

start doing some research, read a book.

I purchased Brett Manning's Singing Success program.

Will this make a difference?

this program won't make the difference. you'll make the difference.

you will get out of these programs whatever you put into it. don't make the program responsible for your success.

that's a solid training program.

train, train hard, and consistent. good luck! bob

I purchased Brett Manning's Singing Success program.

Will this make a difference?

Personally I don't like his programs because he does not focus enough on controlling the air flow with the body. He emphasizes controlling the air flow with the vocal folds. The vocal fold do control breath support by using the air more efficiently, but they are only the size of your pinky nails and they cannot function correctly when they are bombarded with loose uncompressed air.

I personally start out with doing some stretches around the core while focusing on breathing into those areas low in the body, then I lay on the floor and perform relaxed low breaths for 10-15 mins, then while laying on the floor I do the hissing exercise for 15secs, 30secs, 40 secs, and if possible 50 secs. After that I hum a 3 tone scale in a comfortable chest voice from about C3-C4 for 2 sets. Once I have warmed up the chest voice I lip roll a 5 tone from C3-C5 which is my performance voice(I do that exercise for 2 reps). Then I lip roll from C4-C6 which is my upper range and when I feel like I am getting tight I start to descend the scale by chromatic half steps until I able able to vocalize without strain. As soon as the strain is gone I try to remember that feeling and begin to ascend the scale again until I get to that point then repeat. This alone will help you with the basics of breath support and vocal fold closure.

Try this and let me know how it goes.