Seven Years (Acoustic) by Saosin

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey there!

I figured I'd just post it here.

I think I have a pretty big range, but it doesn't sound right for some reason.

I never had singing lessons or anything, I just like to sing in my free time. :)

Please do be harsh and all that, I'd really like to sing better. :)

http://soundcloud.com/randy-schouten/seven-years-acoustic-saosin

It doenst sound right to you because you seem to be pulling chest- it sounds strained. Also, when you can't pull cheat any higher, you flip into falsetto . Your pitch seemed a little off here and there, but in a trivial amount. Get some lessons, start at the beginning. Or buy a program . I have Roberts Pillars program, and I love it.

www.drop-head.com

Hey there!

I figured I'd just post it here.

I think I have a pretty big range, but it doesn't sound right for some reason.

I never had singing lessons or anything, I just like to sing in my free time. :)

Please do be harsh and all that, I'd really like to sing better. :)

http://soundcloud.com/randy-schouten/seven-years-acoustic-saosin

First off, kudos for attempting Anthony Green's range.

Second, being a new singer myself I have noticed my amplitude in regulating pitch. Sure I'm not able to sing great now, but with what I heard of you, Keith had some very good points. I've tried doing Green's signature head voice before and have failed. Sometimes it's best to start with a song you have a more comfortable range in.

Starting with Green is like going to a street car race with only stock equipment and everyone else has turbos and chips and speed improvments. You need to get the tools and foundation first before you can race at that level.

At least, that's my two cents.

Beginner singer.
Check out my band, Dampé, on [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Damp%C3%A9/338886656180563]Facebook[/url]!

@Keith

Basically I shout to much then, no?

Is that what this chest-pulling is?

@Joshsparxx

Thanks, I practically only (try to) sing these kind of songs, as I listen to bands like Chiodos, Circa Survive and Pierce the Veil. I am not going to attempt A Skylit Drive though, that range is just sick. I never reached that.

I'll try to sing a little lower songs. Rise Against and the likes are good for this?

@Keith

Basically I shout to much then, no?

Is that what this chest-pulling is?

Pulling chest means you are using the chest voice musculature to sing notes that are too high for you to sing in chest voice. As you ascend, you need to gradually let go of the chest voice musculature and allow the head voice musculature to be dominant (if I understand this correctly). Search the forum for bridging and head voice and I am sure that you will find a ton of threads relating to it as it is the biggest hurdle to overcome when learning to sing, and takes the klongest to master.

www.drop-head.com

Pulling chest means you are using the chest voice musculature to sing notes that are too high for you to sing in chest voice. As you ascend, you need to gradually let go of the chest voice musculature and allow the head voice musculature to be dominant (if I understand this correctly). Search the forum for bridging and head voice and I am sure that you will find a ton of threads relating to it as it is the biggest hurdle to overcome when learning to sing, and takes the klongest to master.

Def, bridging my head voice has been the high hurdle in my singing education thus far.

As for Akuma,

I'd suggest doing lip roll exercises, these tend to make it easier to hit head voice and can make you understand where your breaking point is. Check youtube on "lip rolls" and it should come up fairly fast. And Yeah, all those bands are from people that are very comfortable and have the ability to hit notes in that register.

I remember trying to sing all those kind of bands when i was first starting singing, let me tell you, it's never good to strain your voice to hit notes, work on it...keep it going, do at least a half hour of warm ups before singing and reduce intake on dairy. Dairy is a large mucus generator and can reduce the tone in your vocal registers.

Beginner singer.
Check out my band, Dampé, on [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Damp%C3%A9/338886656180563]Facebook[/url]!

@Keith

Yes, they call it the "bridge" between chest and head voice from what I've read.

@Josh

Gotcha, I'll check them out. ^^