Experienced/Professional singer's advice needed!

Rate this topic

Kuroneku

I'm not Pavarotti, neither am I Freddie Mercury, but after many, many years of vocal practice & research, I was able to expand my baritone range to tenor with more confidence. As to expect from a tenor, I'm also very, very confident with different types of voices (falsetto etc.)

Now, the past year did not give me too much space for vocal practicing, but when I really got into it again a few months ago, following happened:

It took me a few weeks to really warm up and get into it again. My range goes from ~E3 to C#5 & with my falsetto I could reach up to a B5. Luckily, I was even able to add another two notes & now secure a C#6.

I know everyone has their bad days when it comes to singing, but I've been having huge problems with certain VOWELS in my tenor-range chest notes, and no matter what I try I can't fix it.

What happens is; starting at around F#4 and going up to around B4, my "Ahh" vowel got EXTREMELY weak & I crack in a very uncontrolled way, and it just sounds awful.

My "Ee" vowel also got weaker (not as extreme as my Ahh vowel though) & for example in "We are the Champions", I cannot hit the high "WEEE (Bb4) are the champions..." anymore.

Everything else though & my falsetto are 100% fine. I feel almost that I lost my tenor ability & now I'm only limited to Baritone chest notes... What's strange, "Uhh" vowels are absolutely no problem to hit in terms of tenor chest notes.

I really don't know how to help myself! Is such cracking linked to not warming up properly? I assume it might have to do with days where I was not too motivated to warm up a lot. I even do a lot of breath exercises and researched the most proper ways of how your jaw/tongue has to be placed when you sing those high "Ahh" vowels.

About how much does a vocal nodule check-up cost in California? (if anything like that exists)

Is there anything like a voice maturing & having those kind of symptoms?

PS: A year ago I had absolutely no problem singing those wide open "Ahh" vowels. This is just so frustrating.. even the best warm-up routine does not help me.

It sounds like you already have the tools you need. You already know some vowel sounds have become problematic. You've already said that ah is a problem but uh is not. Why not stick with uh? The lyrics are in articulation, not the vowel sounds, though you sing on the vowel sounds.

But more than that, I would ask you about your sound ideal. How do you think you are supposed to sound in the higher notes? Are you trying to sound like some other singer? I know we all pay lip service to the idea that we should not sound like another singer, even as we are trying to mimick their sound. Reminds me of the kid that gets into the fruit pie Mom had cooling on the counter. Standing there with peach preserves and crust caked on his face, "It wasn't me." Coupled with others' insistence that you absolutely must emulate every singer in the world to earn respectability that you are, indeed, "working hard at improving your voice."

And rather than worry about your highest note and whether you hit it, day to day, I would rather challenge you harder than you have been challenged before. I will ask you to do the hardest thing you have ever done. Harder than all the scales and warm-ups you have been doing for years. Harder than the days when your abs are worn out from "breath support." Harder than the days where you have been frustrated because you got a note the day before, and yet, oddly enough, not the next day. Harder than that. Harder than the time and dedication you have put into your craft, to date.

I challenge you to change your mind. I triple-dog dare you to do what it is your voice can do and, at least momentarily, don't concentrate on what it cannot do. Go back to what is successful, for you. Chances are, you already found a way to what you want that you passed by because, at first glance, it didn't look or sound like you thought you wanted. You cannot hear yourself the way others hear you. Even when listening to a recording of yourself. Because you are listening through your own psychological filter.

My challenge is harder than listing a bunch of mechanical things you can do to sing. You said that even the best warm-up routine is not helping. Well, that's because the answer is not in the warm-up or even practice scales. The answer is in your paradigm.

Singing is mental.

Short, mechanical answer, stay away from the vowel sounds that are giving you trouble and use the ones that make singing easy.

I am not a voice professional anything. I'm just a working joe who likes to sing.

It sounds like you already have the tools you need. You already know some vowel sounds have become problematic. You've already said that ah is a problem but uh is not. Why not stick with uh? The lyrics are in articulation, not the vowel sounds, though you sing on the vowel sounds.

But more than that, I would ask you about your sound ideal. How do you think you are supposed to sound in the higher notes? Are you trying to sound like some other singer? I know we all pay lip service to the idea that we should not sound like another singer, even as we are trying to mimick their sound. Reminds me of the kid that gets into the fruit pie Mom had cooling on the counter. Standing there with peach preserves and crust caked on his face, "It wasn't me." Coupled with others' insistence that you absolutely must emulate every singer in the world to earn respectability that you are, indeed, "working hard at improving your voice."

And rather than worry about your highest note and whether you hit it, day to day, I would rather challenge you harder than you have been challenged before. I will ask you to do the hardest thing you have ever done. Harder than all the scales and warm-ups you have been doing for years. Harder than the days when your abs are worn out from "breath support." Harder than the days where you have been frustrated because you got a note the day before, and yet, oddly enough, not the next day. Harder than that. Harder than the time and dedication you have put into your craft, to date.

I challenge you to change your mind. I triple-dog dare you to do what it is your voice can do and, at least momentarily, don't concentrate on what it cannot do. Go back to what is successful, for you. Chances are, you already found a way to what you want that you passed by because, at first glance, it didn't look or sound like you thought you wanted. You cannot hear yourself the way others hear you. Even when listening to a recording of yourself. Because you are listening through your own psychological filter.

My challenge is harder than listing a bunch of mechanical things you can do to sing. You said that even the best warm-up routine is not helping. Well, that's because the answer is not in the warm-up or even practice scales. The answer is in your paradigm.

Singing is mental.

Short, mechanical answer, stay away from the vowel sounds that are giving you trouble and use the ones that make singing easy.

I am not a voice professional anything. I'm just a working joe who likes to sing.

Thank you sooo much for your caring response-it is truly appreciated!

Well, I used to try to sound like other singers, but that is in the past. I'd love to hit my high notes without cracking, that's all =/ I've never ever cracked for longer than 2 days maybe, but this time it's almost a month now.

I would think that if I had vocal nodules from all the singing, then my "entire" voice would be cracking and failing. But the fact that it's only certain vowels and just a certain chest voice range makes me believe that it just cannot be nodules. Would I be correct?

Is there such thing as vocal damage for a certain part of your voice? If so, does it heal?

Is there anything such as your voice maturing and during that time your voice is not up to everything?

Anybody have a clue?

Thanks again RONWS for your help

• 1 month later...

I am searching an experienced who can teach me How to sing properly. Actually I have a good throat and singing method is very good; so that I want to sing song. I mean I want to be a good singer. SO is there any one who can help me about this matter?

• 1 month later...

Kuroneku:

in my experience, cracking in the midrange typically correlates to chemical changes in the vocal cords, such as reflux irritation, dry environment, or side effects of drying medications (like allergy pills). Nodules might be present but would more typically bring a husky-breath sound quality throughout the range, plus loss of high notes and general flexibility.

the cost of a voice exam in L.A. varies widely. You can contact me off-list for suggestions of MDs; I provide voice therapy in two LA-area offices and am acquainted with a number of good ENTs in the area.