High screams singing!

Rate this topic

rurokenji

Hi guys,

Does anyone how i can perform these screams or wailing or whatever it is called? And can anyone recommend me some exercises i could use to be able to do this?

I have noticed a lot of soul and r&b singers do this? Also is this actually screaming?

At 3:56 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE6bRtyDHeE

At 3:50:

Not sure if I understand what you mean since these examples are a bit different from each other. Are you simply talking about high notes? Or are you talking about putting distortion on top of your sound, i.e. intentionally making your voice a bit raspy?

1st one is a high head/falsetto/whistle note, means you need to practice that.

2cnd one is male head/headmix with extra distortion. Head voices are unique to the singer, so the kind of sound depends on what you can produce. It's cricothyroid tilting, epiglottis narrowing, while maintaining some sort of cord closure.

the 3rd are examples of female chest mixes, head mixes, and head voices/whistles

There's not some special wailing button. You really just have to learn to sing higher. However, I will say that once you can bridge, you can usually touch on those pitches in head voice. But the power and tone just take plain old time and practice. And for a lot of voices, those highest notes are easier to sing than mid pasaggio notes.

As others have said, this isn't a scream so much as simply singing a high note (quite well, I might add).

To reach those notes, the best exercise you can do is a siren on an "ng" as in the last two words on "sing". It should sound a lot like a police car or fire truck siren. Make sure you're actually singing the "ng" rather than a vowel, though, as I had many problems with this when I first learned to siren. You should feel a sensation in your nasal port, since the "ng" is a nasal sound.

Also, this guy is twanging to add extra volume and grit to those high notes. I learned twang by making a duck quacking sound and then I played around with that until I was comfortable. Maybe some others might have better suggestions for learning twang, though.