High Vocals: No Cracking But Poor Tone (Clip)

Rate this topic

Overdrive

I'm attempting to do a cover of this song, I have the original song really quiet in the background, the recorded guitars, and my vocal track. The chorus feels really high for me, which you can probably tell. What can I do to fix this?

http://soundcloud.com/tmusician/fine-again-vocal

I suggest you do lip rolls to improve your basic breath support, especially in your chest voice range (they are a good start for that) and then try not to open your vowels quite so much on the high notes or you might "splat" them. My 5 cents.

I suggest you do lip rolls to improve your basic breath support, especially in your chest voice range (they are a good start for that) and then try not to open your vowels quite so much on the high notes or you might "splat" them. My 5 cents.

Amen to that...Lip rolls will help you to see just how easy making sound can be LOL...Overall that didn't sound too bad, but it was a little flat due to a little laziness within your sound. I believe the lip rolls will help to improve you intonation if you put in the time to do them. Also read my latest comment on support. Good Luck and follow up with us after you have practiced the lip rolls for one week.

sing the song about hundred times over the next week and try each time to make it sound better like your singing in front of people. Try to sing the high parts with less effort as time goes on (not less support or focus) less effort. if you are reading lyrics memorize them first this will help with controlling the pitches as you will not be thinking about reading words.

Sometimes i have to memorize 20 songs in a week learning the words buries the melody and pitches in your head as well as the words.

hope that helps

daniel

www.danielformicavocalstudio.com

Thanks guys, for the lip rolls should I be lip rolling with the song or just lip rolling up and down my range? Is singing through a straw as effective of a method of achieving the same support?

You should be doing both. The lip rolls will help you to connect the breath flow with the tone a lot better, so you should do them up and down the scale starting in; chest voice for 5 mins, then in the passaggio for 5mins, then into head voice for 5 mins, then into high head voice, and finally throughout your range.

With the straw it is best to focus on providing good vibration/closure at the level of the larynx. As you ascend the scale say to middle C/C4 you may have to hold back the breath pressure more with the torso to keep the folds from being bombarded with air and relinquishing the firm closure that had been sustained. You should chromatically navigate down the scale by one semitone until the firm closure is found again at that point when you feel comfortable sustaining that sound is when you can begin to ascend the scale again.

Remember that with both of the exercises drink plenty of water and keep your vocal folds moisturized, Navigate through your entire range, descend the scale when you feel that you can't navigate this area without strain, ascend when you feel comfortable again, and finally hum the rhythm of the sound through lip rolls and the straw to workout trouble spots. Finally Good Luck! :cool: