Vocal slides

Rate this topic

izzle1989

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just try to understand eachother before going back and forth. What Felipe is basically saying is that you've chosen a more headvoice oriented approach to connecting upwards in that slide. I would not necessarily call it breaking into, because it seemed you were in control of the process.

However it's also possible to connect from low to high with more TA activation, and that would sound a lot different then what you do now. Have you tried going that route before?

The one place where I thought I heard a break or transition was the first ee siren. The second ee siren where vary around plateaus, not so much. The other vowels, not so much a flip or break. Slight tonal variation on the upper end of, i think, the ah siren.

But it seemed to me that your breath did not change. For me, and it may be just my way, my breath changes as I ascend in pitch but I had to stop and think about it, just now, because I tend to vary breath support without thinking about it, as a response to where I am with the note.

Cool demo, though.

I understand that the head voice had a lighter timbre, but I wasn't trying to carry a lot of TA weight up the scale in those examples. I did break on the first ee vowel and I realized that I needed to correct it. I was just randomly posting that clip it wasn't suppose to be my best demonstration as I only did one take and it was unedited.

I understand and appreciate all of the comments and I don't mean to seem like I am getting upset or anything.

Hey Felipe - To my ears this doesn't sound like Falsetto at all - Just head voice.. Can you post a clip to demonstrate what you're talking about?

The reason I ask is that I sound similar to Izzle when doing slides, and want to know if that needs to change!

thanks

There's not inherently wrong with what he does. As time goes by however, it's more efficient for the voice to have some vocalis activity in your headvoice sounds, that way they are more connected. You should be able to transit from headvoice to chestvoice on the same note without a break, which is a more advanced step ;>

Given the amount of breath I believe you need to have a convincing falsetto, for me its easier to do a slide in head voice rather than falsetto. I realise I need to work on my breath control anyway...

In my opinion (and its nothing more than that) I agree with bigfoot -these are great head voice slides.