Critique my singing; All I Do by Stevie Wonder

• TMV World Legacy Member

Right now you are not ready for this song. You need to work on getting better cord closure and singing in the mix voice. I would say keep practicing, do lip roll scales, work on breath support, and strengthening your voice as as a whole. Time will be your biggest obstacle. Be patient and you will improve.

"verum ipsum factum"

• 4 weeks later...

what are the best exercises for cord closure ?? is the 'gug' exercise the best one ?

Z

That is a good one, but I like to use short staccato vowels on a 3-5 tone scale to work on the onset. The onset will set you up with the correct function if done correctly. I also feel that these staccato notes help to further connect you speaking voice with your singing voice. Check out this link if you already haven't done so http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=4504

Also the exercises are not as important as how often you do them and your dedication towards doing them. Just vocalized everyday and you will start to see improvement because of improvement with the strength and coordination of the muscles within the larynx. Just remember to start from the bottom up and stick to the basics as far as techniques goes.

1. Posture

2. Breathing

3. Phonation

4. Resonance

5. Articulation

"verum ipsum factum"

thanks Izzle for that response. Regarding onsets, I saw on a video that doing a quick 'gasp' before starting to sing helps to enable a good attack. I've tried it a few times but not sure if it is doing any good or Im just perceiving that it is. I will definitely give that vowels done staccato a try too.

Z

thanks Izzle for that response. Regarding onsets, I saw on a video that doing a quick 'gasp' before starting to sing helps to enable a good attack. I've tried it a few times but not sure if it is doing any good or Im just perceiving that it is. I will definitely give that vowels done staccato a try too.

Z

A quick gasp helps, but it is a little overrated. It is suppose to help to open the throat, but sometimes people over do this and try to keep the glottis open while vocalizing.

Trust me the staccato onset will do wonders. I find that this really helps me bridge the gap between singing and speaking.

"verum ipsum factum"