Weird sensation

Rate this topic

D.Starr

OK, so I had a singing lesson yesterday with my local singing teacher. Things were going awesome, I'm currently singing Take ya Down by Chris Brown. It has some pretty hard notes and requires quite a bit of stamina to keep going.

I was hitting the A4s with a lot of ease, more ease than usual. After the lesson my throat felt like it had been thoroughly worked out, my voice didn't feel sore just worked, it's hard to explain.

I woke up this morning, no sore throat at all, better than usual actually. Now when it came to just singing a few songs, my voice seems extremely soft, no harsh onsets, no tightness in my neck, quite velvety. I really want to sing but then I don't want to damage my voice by over doing.

Has anyone had this feeling before? It feels like my voice is free of tension. I know if I sing for awhile the tension will creep back in which I really don't want it to, I'm just really enjoying this sensation.

Most likely you have overworked your cords into an overly leggierro position. If you want to properly use this voice function, you train your resonance. Straining your cords until that point is not the healthiest way of accessing the voice, and you'll also find that the function does not last very long that way. So, work on the resonance!

Sounds like you used your voice well yesterday. Your folds and musculature may not be done rebuilding from a productive session. If it doesn't feel right - I wouldn't push it today. Give it another day of rest. You can turn a good thing into a bad thing. I'll do that a lot especially when starting to work on a very demanding song - I'll put days inbetween practicing that song.

It used to happen to me long time ago.

If you're doing the excercises as well (I guess your vocal teacher would've stopped you otherwise), Than I'll have this answer. your vocal cords\throat are a MUSCLE.

Try to go to the gym and see what happens before and after---> Of course it would be much harder to lift the same weights after a gym. SAME HERE :P

(Another thing is, try to get support from your breath at home, just train...and try to work on the "yawn" position of the throat at home - that takes a lot of effort from the throat muscles)

[i'm sorry if my english wasn't so good, I'm not a native speaker ]

It used to happen to me long time ago.

If you're doing the excercises as well (I guess your vocal teacher would've stopped you otherwise), Than I'll have this answer. your vocal cords\throat are a MUSCLE.

Try to go to the gym and see what happens before and after---> Of course it would be much harder to lift the same weights after a gym. SAME HERE :P

(Another thing is, try to get support from your breath at home, just train...and try to work on the "yawn" position of the throat at home - that takes a lot of effort from the throat muscles)

[i'm sorry if my english wasn't so good, I'm not a native speaker ]

Just like any other muscle the voice needs time to recover in between sessions. Since I'm not only a Voice Major in College I am a Health and Fitness Major too so I think I can help.

Muscles that require more motor units to use them are the ones that are the largest and need the most rest in between that's why when you go work out or run most of the soreness is felt in the big muscles: Glutes, Hamstrings, Quadriceps, and Pecs not the wrist, ankles, toes, or fingers.

With that being said the muscles of the voice are some of the smallest if not the smallest muscles in the human body, so they take less time to recover. Make sure you practice every day from 1 to 2 hours and the other 22 to 23 hours take a break and enjoy life.

The voice is more resilient than we think!