Please watch/critique my singing! Selections from Aida and Les Mis:)

Rate this topic

Hello everyone! I'm a voice and piano major from Elizabethtown College in south central Pennsylvania, and I recently began putting videos of myself on youtube in order to get myself out there and to receive some constructive criticism. The three songs I have recorded so far are I Know the Truth from Aida, Unexpected Song from Song and Dance, and I Dreamed a Dream from Les Miserables. Any kind of feedback is welcome--I love improving and growing as a singer and musician. Thanks so much!:D

http://www.youtube.com/user/HymnfortheShameless6/videos

Hello everyone! I'm a voice and piano major from Elizabethtown College in south central Pennsylvania, and I recently began putting videos of myself on youtube in order to get myself out there and to receive some constructive criticism. The three songs I have recorded so far are I Know the Truth from Aida, Unexpected Song from Song and Dance, and I Dreamed a Dream from Les Miserables. Any kind of feedback is welcome--I love improving and growing as a singer and musician. Thanks so much!:D

http://www.youtube.com/user/HymnfortheShameless6/videos

I listened to I know the truth from Aida and I immediately thought to myself what a great voice :)

You have a consistent vibrato and a great tone to your voice. You are supporting your voice very well, but during some of the consonants you tend to relax that support which destroys the legato line.

I would recommend that you do some jaw tension/relaxation exercises since you seem to have a slight bit of tension which is preventing you from dropping your jaw enough. Also some of the words were a little to bright and wide which could be a symptom of jaw tension. I think you should focus on having slightly more vertical vowels with more of a vertical space between your teeth. This will help to keep your throat open which will encourage the legato line.

To sum it up you should focus on supporting the tone throughout the phrase, releasing jaw tension, and maintaining the legato line. If you want any exercises to help with these things let me know. Also let me know what you are doing during your daily vocal exercising so I will know what to prescribe and how advanced of a singer you are :-)